Middle Fork late August - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-09-2019   #1

santa cruz, California
Paddling Since: 93
Middle Fork late August

Looking for a little feed back on any information regarding flows and how bony the upper stretch is on Aug 27 typically.
Rolled the dice for a late season trip since I will be bringing the family, (kids 10 & 13) who have been running rivers since they were 2, but I was still a bit concerned with taking them to early in the season. We ran the Main last year on June 29 and it was a great level.
We are hoping for 2’ and above, but it will all depend on how the winter/spring plays out. We want to put in at Boundary Creek, but that is the question. Will we be dragging our boats? Has anyone ran it below 2’ in a 15’ oar rig? If so how low? Otherwise, should we opt for flying into Indian Creek?
If we fly in, anyone have any info for good pilots/companies to go with.
I need to confirm my permit this week and struggling on where to put in?
Lastly, in this crazy new Recreation.gov madness that is a lottery nightmare, my wife and I both pulled Aug 27 Middle, which makes me think it is going to be low water, or just pure luck. Skunked on the other 7 stretches we tried for.
We will be releasing one, so hopefully someone who wasn’t lucky will get out on the river and we will see you there.

snapdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2019   #2

"On Saturday, March 16, at 8 a.m. MT, any unconfirmed dates will be released all at once. However, the Middle Fork will no longer reissue launch dates of Aug. 15-Sept. 15 due to spawning Chinook salmon."

Thanks.
idaho_h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019   #3
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Looking for a little feed back on any information regarding flows and how bony the upper stretch is on Aug 27 typically.
Rolled the dice for a late season trip since I will be bringing the family, (kids 10 & 13) who have been running rivers since they were 2, but I was still a bit concerned with taking them to early in the season. We ran the Main last year on June 29 and it was a great level.
We are hoping for 2’ and above, but it will all depend on how the winter/spring plays out. We want to put in at Boundary Creek, but that is the question. Will we be dragging our boats? Has anyone ran it below 2’ in a 15’ oar rig? If so how low? Otherwise, should we opt for flying into Indian Creek?
Lastly, in this crazy new Recreation.gov madness that is a lottery nightmare, my wife and I both pulled Aug 27 Middle, which makes me think it is going to be low water, or just pure luck. Skunked on the other 7 stretches we tried for.
We will be releasing one, so hopefully someone who wasn’t lucky will get out on the river and we will see you there.
I have run the top many, many times in a 17 foot boat down to 1.4 feet or about 400 cfs...

I use Middle Fork Aviation out of Challis and have always had stellar service.

To confirm your permit you don't have to be locked in to a launch site. Pick Boundary to Cache and pay for one day for one person. Figure out the details later. Awesome time of year to be out there. I hope you work it out. My preferred option is to launch as light as you can from the top and fly in beer, gear, coolers and food as needed. But I don't know you skill level. The Main is really easy compared to the Middle Fork. It can be very technical to Indian Creek. And slow. Unless you have 8 days or it is over 2 feet I would lean to flying in. Unless you are a pinball wizard, spin to win, ultralight boater....
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2019   #4
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Our late august trip at 1.5 feet off the top from Boundary was a shit show, would never ever ever do it again! Note the date in the video shows June, but it was really August.

Similar at 1.7, it sucked balls!
fly in everything, bring freeze dried, No way you could get a giant yellow avon 16' banana down the river at that flow. Can't believe anyone even tries to get permits for that time of year.

In all seriousness though, if you pack too heavy, don't run your boats really soft, don't know some of the critical lines, and aren't used to reading really low water you could have a very bad time. Use the search tool, this topic has been beat to death every year.
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/...how-95665.html
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019   #5

santa cruz, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
Quote:
I have run the top many, many times in a 17 foot boat down to 1.4 feet or about 400 cfs...

I use Middle Fork Aviation out of Challis and have always had stellar service.

To confirm your permit you don't have to be locked in to a launch site. Pick Boundary to Cache and pay for one day for one person. Figure out the details later. Awesome time of year to be out there. I hope you work it out. My preferred option is to launch as light as you can from the top and fly in beer, gear, coolers and food as needed. But I don't know you skill level. The Main is really easy compared to the Middle Fork. It can be very technical to Indian Creek. And slow. Unless you have 8 days or it is over 2 feet I would lean to flying in. Unless you are a pinball wizard, spin to win, ultralight boater....
Thanks, I like the go light and fly in more provisions. All to familiar with low water rocky rivers and not looking to be parked on a rock, because we over packed or under inflated. Might switch to the super puma and leave the Avon at home.
Old 03-09-2019   #6

santa cruz, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
Our late august trip at 1.5 feet off the top from Boundary was a shit show, would never ever ever do it again! Note the date in the video shows June, but it was really August.

Similar at 1.7, it sucked balls!
fly in everything, bring freeze dried, No way you could get a giant yellow avon 16' banana down the river at that flow. Can't believe anyone even tries to get permits for that time of year.

In all seriousness though, if you pack too heavy, don't run your boats really soft, don't know some of the critical lines, and aren't used to reading really low water you could have a very bad time. Use the search tool, this topic has been beat to death every year.
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/...how-95665.html
I did see some other threads and was hoping for a silver lining, since it was the only permit our group pulled.
Your videos do look just shy of creek boating, and I would agree on not bringing any big boat in at that time of year. I guess all I can do is hope for a late season melt and there is still some decent water.
Old 03-09-2019   #7
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
You are missing the point entirely. Did you not see the 16' yellow avon (the big banana) coming down the river at 2:40 on the second video no problem like an ELF PIMP?
Your boat length/size has really nothing to do with it.
Old 03-09-2019   #8
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Quote:
All to familiar with low water rocky rivers and not looking to be parked on a rock, because we over packed or under inflated
I hope this is a typo. You need to be way under-inflated on low water bony rivers to not get stuck. Totally counter intuitive. If you are rock hard you are stuck, if you run super soft and mushy you slime right over rocks no problem. Running super soft is at the top of the list for coming off the top from Boundary in late august to minimize getting stuck.
Old 03-09-2019   #9

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
You need to be way under-inflated on low water bony rivers to not get stuck. Totally counter intuitive. If you are rock hard you are stuck, if you run super soft and mushy you slime right over rocks no problem. Running super soft is at the top of the list for coming off the top from Boundary in late august to minimize getting stuck.
I totally didn't know this and some of the rivers I like are pretty boney.

I haven't got hung up YET, but I'll start running my boat softer on those rivers now.

Thanks.
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019   #10

Bozeman, Montana
Commercial sweep boats run it down to about 1.7. Boats don’t get any bigger or heavier than that. We run 18’ers off the top at that level fully loaded, but fly the customers to Indian.
Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote