MFS Indian Creek Flight Thoughts. - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-26-2015   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
MFS Indian Creek Flight Thoughts.

Our group launches 7/13 @ Boundary Creek. Expecting flows of about 1.6'. 6 boats 12 people. Mixed intermediate to advanced skills.
I'm thinking of flying my wife (the weakest physical member) and several hundred pounds of gear into Indian Creek on the afternoon of the 14th. Gives me two days to get boats down and meet her with our heavy stuff.

What problems can you all find with this? Delays on the river, etc. . Anyone done this? How did it work out?

Sent from my SM-G386T using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2015   #2

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
We did this last year... but we took two days above indian creek... we camped at big bend the first night and dolly lake the second .. We had a friend of ours fly in our coolers on the night before our third day. but a morning flight that day shouldnt be a problem.. I think you would be happier with two days above boundary, but it is doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whetstone View Post
Our group launches 7/13 @ Boundary Creek. Expecting flows of about 1.6'. 6 boats 12 people. Mixed intermediate to advanced skills.
I'm thinking of flying my wife (the weakest physical member) and several hundred pounds of gear into Indian Creek on the afternoon of the 14th. Gives me two days to get boats down and meet her with our heavy stuff.

What problems can you all find with this? Delays on the river, etc. . Anyone done this? How did it work out?

codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015   #3

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Some say that top piece is really slow work at those flows. As long as your wife knows you might be late and not to worry. She can fly in with all her necessary gear to hang for an extra night - the worse thing is saying you will be there at a certain time and not making it as then people worry like crazy. If you start out saying that you are AIMING for a time but make it clear that it could be the next day then a book, shade, comfy chair and bed for the night (plus all that beer in your coolers!) should be just the ticket! In fact it all sounds very peaceful & idyllic considering you will be working your butt off ping ponging off the rocks

We just decided to fly gear in next week, not sure if we have yet decided to whether to get the drop day 3 or 4. Nervous and excited, only done the river at 41/2 feet so it will be a very different beast.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2015   #4

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I would try and camp not far above indain creek your second night and have her fly in that next morning.. to me this would be about the most fool proof plan and wouldnt keep anyone waiting for long stretches.. dolly lake and big snag are nice camps that put you close and will fit your group size just fine..
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015   #5

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
I would try and camp not far above indain creek your second night and have her fly in that next morning.. to me this would be about the most fool proof plan and wouldnt keep anyone waiting for long stretches.. dolly lake and big snag are nice camps that put you close and will fit your group size just fine..
Great thoughts. Im liking the two nights above Indian Creek idea. It would change a lot of the front end logistics though. Instead of the wife dropping us at Boundary crk and spending one day goofing around in Stanley before her flight, I would have to do a standard vehicle shuttle and she would drive to Stanley or Chalis with gear to catch her flight 48 hours later. Leaves a second vehicle to be recoverd on our drive back to Boise.

Old 06-26-2015   #6

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
I think you are looking at this wrong. There are a lot worse things in life than to be sitting at Indian Cr with camping, fishing, and hiking gear and several hundred pounds of group food and beverage for an extra day. With it this warm, an early am flight is likely to be the most practical
paulster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015   #7

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster View Post
I think you are looking at this wrong. There are a lot worse things in life than to be sitting at Indian Cr with camping, fishing, and hiking gear and several hundred pounds of group food and beverage for an extra day. With it this warm, an early am flight is likely to be the most practical
For me or you ,yes, thats perfect. For my wife a night alone at Indian Creek would be very stressful. She would be up all night worried sick. Silly perhaps but true.

Old 06-26-2015   #8

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
If the group has time fly her in the 15th. The first day can be a little rough for intermediates. Short mileage in the norm. The second day miles are easier but you could still manage to come up short if you have a repair. If she is the type that would be nervous about a night alone she would have fit over being alone unexpectedly while you wait for glue to dry upstream.

The planes have a STRONG preference for morning flights. The upper river is the best fishing and, to me, the most scenic. The lower canyon is easy to make miles. Indian to tappan has little to give a rafter pause and you can really blow through there if necessary.
Camas to big creek is another high mileage opportunity.

Launch by noon the 13th. make 10ish miles
on the 14th make it near indian creek or possibly to indian creek
Fly in morning of the 15th, re-rig, lunch on the beach.
Float to Lost Oak and soak in sunflower hot spring that night.
32 miles in 3 super fun days.
the next day go big and get to loon.
that leaves abour 15 miles average the rest of the trip. Perfect.

For reference in 2012 I ran solo Camas creek to Cache bar at 1.6' in a loooong day to finish a 3 day low water fall trip. 15' cat with all required gear. If you can't make miles it is your own fault.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015   #9

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiya79 View Post
Launch by noon the 13th. make 10ish miles
on the 14th make it near indian creek or possibly to indian creek
Fly in morning of the 15th, re-rig, lunch on the beach.
Float to Lost Oak and soak in sunflower hot spring that night.
32 miles in 3 super fun days.
the next day go big and get to loon.
that leaves abour 15 miles average the rest of the trip.
This is exactly what Im thinking. GOOD PLAN. THANKS ALL.

Old 06-26-2015   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1955
We launched from Boundary at 1.7. We ran small boats. I was in an Aire Puma and my friends were in Mini Me's. It was really boney. Go light as possible. Plan on a lot of lifting and maybe a patch or two. Some commercial guides launched a deadhead to Indian the same day. Except for personal gear and a couple of meals they were totally empty. It's a beautiful river. Have fun.
cahatch52 is offline   Reply With Quote