Mountain Buzz banner

MF Salmon Regs Question

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Nubie Jon 
#1 ·
I'm launching this week, and am really trying to cut weight down. For a fifepan I want to bring an aluminum turkey roasting pan, and a fat 50 ammo can for an ash can. Will this set up pass muster at the put in inspection? I use the aluminum pans for self support kayak all the time with no trouble.

#2 ·
The tukey pan is fine. If your launching at Boundary I doubt you will really have an inspection. I think the ranger is no longer at Boundary, they normally get pulled around this time of year. You will need to check in at Indian Creek but most of the time the Ranger doesn't check your gear. They just assign the campsites.

#9 ·
If you use two of the turkey pans with a layer of dirt in the bottom pan, they don't burn through. Steel pan is a good idea though, I'll probably switch to a steel baking pan.

The rangers had no problem with the turkey pan or with using an ammo can for an ash can. It met all their requirements. They didn't bat an eye.

#10 ·
Great to hear that the rangers were good with the turkey pan and ammo can. Seems they do meet the letter of the law. Turkey pan is easy to find at a grocery store if you ever find yourself without one.

I've also heard of using a gallon paint can for ashes.

Seems the "spirit of the law" would be to have an ash can and fire pan that are similar in size.

And I'm jealous you found a Fat50 can. Those are nice. How much did you spend?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.