MF Salmon Regs Question - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
MF Salmon Regs Question

I'm launching this week, and am really trying to cut weight down. For a fifepan I want to bring an aluminum turkey roasting pan, and a fat 50 ammo can for an ash can. Will this set up pass muster at the put in inspection? I use the aluminum pans for self support kayak all the time with no trouble.

Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
The tukey pan is fine. If your launching at Boundary I doubt you will really have an inspection. I think the ranger is no longer at Boundary, they normally get pulled around this time of year. You will need to check in at Indian Creek but most of the time the Ranger doesn't check your gear. They just assign the campsites.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Only guidelines are a metal pan with 3" sides and a sealed metal can for ashes. You probably won't have to show them to a ranger this time of year like Riverwild said.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Thanks all for the replies!
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
My question is "Are you planning on having a fire?" It's going to be cold at night this next week so a fire would be nice .....be tricky in a roasting pan.
wshutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwild View Post
The tukey pan is fine. If your launching at Boundary I doubt you will really have an inspection. I think the ranger is no longer at Boundary, they normally get pulled around this time of year. You will need to check in at Indian Creek but most of the time the Ranger doesn't check your gear. They just assign the campsites.

Rangers will be at Boundary until Friday at noon. And if I recall correctly, turkey pan is acceptable for Kayakers, not rafts. I may be wrong.
jkisraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Just got back from the Main a couple weeks ago. We had a turkey pan, 50mm ammo can, and a fire blanket and they didn't bat an eye. I was in a big 16' raft with 6 others in their own craft so we had plenty of space.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

Kalispell, Montana
I don't like turkey pans. Might meet the letter of the law, but they can burn through (spirit of the law). If you want to cut size/weight, I'd at least recommend a steel oil change pan.

Burn it once on a windy day to bake off the zinc fumes.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
I don't like turkey pans. Might meet the letter of the law, but they can burn through (spirit of the law). If you want to cut size/weight, I'd at least recommend a steel oil change pan.

Burn it once on a windy day to bake off the zinc fumes.
If you use two of the turkey pans with a layer of dirt in the bottom pan, they don't burn through. Steel pan is a good idea though, I'll probably switch to a steel baking pan.

The rangers had no problem with the turkey pan or with using an ammo can for an ash can. It met all their requirements. They didn't bat an eye.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I'm launching this week, and am really trying to cut weight down. For a fifepan I want to bring an aluminum turkey roasting pan, and a fat 50 ammo can for an ash can. Will this set up pass muster at the put in inspection? I use the aluminum pans for self support kayak all the time with no trouble.
Great to hear that the rangers were good with the turkey pan and ammo can. Seems they do meet the letter of the law. Turkey pan is easy to find at a grocery store if you ever find yourself without one.

I've also heard of using a gallon paint can for ashes.

Seems the "spirit of the law" would be to have an ash can and fire pan that are similar in size.

And I'm jealous you found a Fat50 can. Those are nice. How much did you spend?
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote