meals on multi-day trip - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-09-2014   #1

Boston Mountains, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 2002
meals on multi-day trip

So....I've heard of 3 options for meals
1: have an outfitter do al the shopping and packing based on menu options, $15+ per person per day
2: Someone picks menu, buys food, packs, etc, split cost among group
3: Each person/pair does their own breakfast and lunch, dinners are group and cost is split per person.

Discuss please.

PBR62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014   #2

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR62 View Post
So....I've heard of 3 options for meals
1: have an outfitter do al the shopping and packing based on menu options, $15+ per person per day
2: Someone picks menu, buys food, packs, etc, split cost among group
3: Each person/pair does their own breakfast and lunch, dinners are group and cost is split per person.

Discuss please.
Option 4: Everyone brings and prepares their own food. Small, separate cooking areas....no hassles, no worries about others' diet restrictions, low cost.
briandburns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #3

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Option two is what we do.. we split each day into teams... they have a breakfast lunch and dinner.. starts with lunch then dinner then breakfast.. this way the dinner cooler is out at camp for breakfast the next morning... and one cooler is opened and used and none else has to open their coolers... I never open my food cooler until my day to cook... everyone chooses their own meals but we start a Facebook event and have a meal plan on that so we never have the same dinner twice... those who don't have Facebook are called and pencilled in..
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014   #4

salmon, Idaho
Their is a also google spreadsheet that I have used. I email it to everyone and everyone can fill it out and it shows up on everyone else's sheet..
Old 03-09-2014   #5

Boston Mountains, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by briandburns View Post
Option 4: Everyone brings and prepares their own food. Small, separate cooking areas....no hassles, no worries about others' diet restrictions, low cost.
So everybody brings their own kitchen? or would you share a kitchen? I'm thinking two 2 burner stoves and a fire pan, 1 20lb propane bottle with attachments to run 2 stoves.
PBR62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
Option two is what we do.. we split each day into teams... they have a breakfast lunch and dinner.. starts with lunch then dinner then breakfast.. this way the dinner cooler is out at camp for breakfast the next morning... and one cooler is opened and used and none else has to open their coolers... I never open my food cooler until my day to cook... everyone chooses their own meals but we start a Facebook event and have a meal plan on that so we never have the same dinner twice... those who don't have Facebook are called and pencilled in..
We do this also. Each team starts with lunch, then dinner, and next morning's breakfast. This way a meal team sets up the kitchen in camp the way they want it for dinner & breakfast the next morning. Each team keeps track of their expenses and they are added up at the end of the trip. Email communication with all trip members about the planned menus. Good food, not expensive, encourages creativity, fun.....at least that's how it is for my group.

Option #1 - boring and expensive
Option #4 - too complicated.
Old 03-09-2014   #7

salmon, Idaho
This also means you are not cooking every night... one day of work then you get to relax fish and do what you want.. and the empty coolers make a good place for garbage bag..
Old 03-09-2014   #8

cedar city, Utah
Option 5: Each person or designated pair does a day of breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Buy food and prep.

We run small groups on multi day trips so that normally means each groups does 1 or 2 full days of meals. Each group then knows the recipe they have prepped and are designated to cook. The cooking pair setups kitchen or has control of its design location since they will be doing the work for dinner and the following breakfast. Also gives everyone a rotation off for an entire day (and/or multiple) which means they can sleep more or go on hikes in pm/am. First timers are normally let off the hook for the first overnighter or given a day or two to familiarize themselves with the river before cooking on multi-day trips of length.

We have always found the less $$ that changes hands the better. We have never had any major disparities in quality or quantity when running the menu this way. Also reduces recipe fatigue as most folks bring some sort of novel menu choice.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by briandburns View Post
yep. and add in clean up your own stuff too. this way you eat when you want,what you want. if you want to do that evening hike, wet a line until dark, sit under tree and watch the river go by with a book and chowing some oreo's..... it's all good and nobody is getting bent in camp over you "shirking" your cooking or cleaning duties,ect.

it also it takes me about 5 minutes and a couple emails to put a week long trip together that way too. i'm a big fan of the Keep It Simple Stupid for trips.

the over micromanaged trips drive me abit batshit loopy these days, for sure because i know how easy and stress free it can be.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #10

We do what Cody does, each team takes a three meals but we start with dinner. It's only cost shared in the sense each team provided meals, we don't actually tally in what each team spent. Those differences would be minimal anyway.

Night after you cook is t your team's groover day, then off. Kids always do dishes. On the grand we did add a cleanup crew for a 4 day rotation.

I'd never do a trip again where it's for each their own. Just leads to redundant extra gear and 4 people trying to do the same thing. I think communal type living with everyone pitching in but in different ways is best on the river.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote