Max Flow Middle Blue (take out at GMR) - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #11

denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Yes, that stretch. Put in is a bit easier, we found a spot with about a 25 yd carry to put in.

The whitewater classification system needs revision in my opinion. While I consider the stretch I just floated as class 3, it differs completely from Shoshone at 3000 CFS Class 3 which in turn differs from every river. So, I hear ya, descriptions of runs can be difficult to quantify with our antiquated system.

Here's a better description.

In my raft we had a rookie rower and two veterans. The rookie rowed the lake.

I would NOT take my 2 and 4 year olds on this stretch, but I did take them down the Dolores from Bradfield to Dove Creek and the entire slickrock section. I also felt comfortable with them doing cemetery rapid at about 3000 CFS on the roaring fork. (all of these supposedly have class 3).

If you swam without a PFD, I feel confident in saying you'd die. If you swam with a PFD and did not go back to the boat, I would not like the odds of survival.

Continuos, fast and no eddies. However, at lower flows, the danger would be minimal- other than getting stuck on a rock.

I say, lets change the whitewater classification system!

wamsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #12

Littlefun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Your TR is appreciated, now I'm really interested. Was the take out closer to GMR or just past the last bridge (near the road to Heeney)? I'm assuming the fence post was the bridge west of Ute Pass Rd. Thinking about this for the weekend.
Old 1 Week Ago   #13

denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Poppy-

The flow has dropped to 1200 CFS, so your run will be different than mine. Expect more of what Andy described than the whitewater I described. I bet the fishing improves though...

The fence post Andy described as 'raft flipping', was barely exposed for our trip and would be called 'raft ripping' at 1900 CFS. It is found immediately after the middle (2nd) crossing under hwy 9. We came close to hitting it, since I believe there was a pretty big hole/wave I wanted to avoid on the left, and I didn't see it until we were next to it. Stay center, or as left as possible to avoid.

We took off on the lake, off Heeny Rd, at the day-use area that makes sense. We rowed about .7 miles of flat, lake water to get there. For some crazy reason the boat ramp was closed with a locked gate, but is a short carry. You could take out at other places, but I would scout the take out ahead of time to know how hard it will be on your backs.

Have fun.
wamsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #14

Littlefun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Thanks, I was watching flows and saw it drop off. I'll file this one away for another day.