March multi-day - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Deadwater the giant ice dam that forms in the slow stretch just below north fork typically goes out sometime in March. Once that goes out The salmon is usually going to be clear.. I would suspect that the lower would be clear before that. The ice dam at deadwater can be huge on cold winters.. I think it was 17 that it was backed up about five miles above salmon.. so it was a good 25 mile long ice dam..

Owyhee can be hit or miss but that is my go to early season run.

Ran the salt last year in march and that was awesome. Permited and less likely to run than the owyhee.. As said before it's really early to know what anything is going to look like.

codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1993
I need a March trip as well. I just got off the Snake through Hell’s Cy, and need one more trip to tune up for the Grand in late April. With familiarity now with Hell’s, I’d have to recommend that run for a shoulder season trip. I’m in Bellingham-you?
Flatlandr360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I would definitely look at Hells vs the Main or Lower Salmon. Cold weather boating is better, with less ice, on N/S rivers. There are too many spots along those two rivers with large southern hills/cliffs to block the sun to the river and allow ice dams to possibly develop. But then again, March is pretty late for ice dams. The N/S vs E/W aspects also affects how cold you will get boating, as you will get more direct sun on the N/S sections, such as Hells. (Lower has more N/S than the Main FWIW). But if the Owyhee is running, go there, mid week if possible.
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
I would definitely look at Hells vs the Main or Lower Salmon. Cold weather boating is better, with less ice, on N/S rivers. There are too many spots along those two rivers with large southern hills/cliffs to block the sun to the river and allow ice dams to possibly develop. But then again, March is pretty late for ice dams. The N/S vs E/W aspects also affects how cold you will get boating, as you will get more direct sun on the N/S sections, such as Hells. (Lower has more N/S than the Main FWIW). But if the Owyhee is running, go there, mid week if possible.
This is pretty genius advice.

I'd always thought "winter boating will be cold because the sun is below the ridge most of the day" rather than, "pick a river that aligns with the low sun's path". (DUH!)

Awesome sauce!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote