Map and compass - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Map and compass

Maybe a silly thread, but how many of you of own a compass and really know how to read a topo map? My old GPS is obsolete but a topo map and my 40 year old Silva Ranger compass tells me everything I really need to know. Of course, I love looking at and studying all types of maps.

Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Funny I was going to reply to your other thread. Yes, I carry a compass and paper maps as redundancy rafting and hunting. I also carry a red light. Last summer I taught my 11 year old to orient a map and pace off a course. But that may be the boy scout and mil dog in me!
Nubie Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

SWCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 80's
I do.. love a map and compass. However, I was just looking at the Garmin Inreach though. Having that SOS button nowadays really makes sense. I’ve been lucky for a long time and being able to get pluked out of a hairy situation is very comforting to me now.
MR. ED is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Calgary, Alberta
I think having and knowing how to use them is a great skill, but I don't use them much personally.

And in order to really use them well you need to practice and pay attention as you move. And I admit I'm not really practicing but I do always try to pay attention to where i am while I'm on a river.
cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I carry an inreach but an old Cammenga compass and topo are also with me. I pull them out and play around to make sure I still remember how to use them. Just being able to triangulate, shoot an azimuth, a reverse azimuth, and understand declination is about the limits of what I'm 100% comfortable with anymore.

I enjoy using them but have not used them for real navigation in years.
theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Ok I'm lost and out of JD and food, I look at my GPS and the coordinates read 38.525094-109.993339 where the hell am I. My X wife blind folded me and pushed me out of the car in the dark after a couple of hours, she told me she was taking me somewhere special for dinner, I should of known better.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Ok I'm lost and out of JD and food, I look at my GPS and the coordinates read 38.525094-109.993339 where the hell am I. My X wife blind folded me and pushed me out of the car in the dark after a couple of hours, she told me she was taking me somewhere special for dinner.
Mineral Bottom! 😉
theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

thornton, Colorado
Degrees, minutes, seconds

Quote:
Originally Posted by theusualsuspect View Post
Mineral Bottom! ��
I can't get a hold of anyone except for an old friend that only has a land line phone, no cell phone or computer. But he has topographic maps and need me to give him the coordinates in degrees- minutes-seconds so he can pick me up and bring me a bottle of JD to cheer me up.
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

thornton, Colorado
38 31' 30.34N-- 109 59' 36.02"E, so I give him the coordinates (DMS)degrees, minutes, seconds. He decides it was to far to drive, so he called our friend who has an Jet Ranger helicopter but the FMS is the old style Collins (FMS) and needs to be loaded with the (DMM) Degrees and Decimal Minutes format and not the (DMS)Degrees Minutes Seconds or the(DD) Decimal-Degrees format. This way they can get a bottle of JD to me sooner to survive in the harsh conditions. I too like the topographic maps because they have all the terrain depicted and it's like a photograph of hills, mountains, valleys, easy or difficult walking conditions, best way between two points or a spot. I can't believe I stayed up this long, I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight. Most of the stuff I just wrote is a alot of jibberish, I need to get out more.
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Denver, Colorado
UTM is my favorite way to navigate when using map and compass, allows for easy tenths. When I print maps, I use UTM overlay.
Carry a Map and compass while hunting, also love the Topo Maps! App on i devices, it’s all of the USGS 1:24000 maps loaded. Must download maps of area first, but has a tracking feature so triangulation is not quite as crucial for location.
Good times!
Raymo, hope you enjoyed the JD I dropped via my super spy drone, just hope it was on the right coordinates, enjoy!
jonseim is online now   Reply With Quote