Major first aid kit: What's in it? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-16-2014   #1

Boston Mountains, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 2002
Major first aid kit: What's in it?

Wondering just what qualifies as a major first aid or medical kit as required by national parks for multi-day trips

PBR62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014   #2

Everett, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR62 View Post
Wondering just what qualifies as a major first aid or medical kit as required by national parks for multi-day trips
Check this link. http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisi...egulations.pdf Page 19
RASIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
The NPS site just has suggestions not really the best if you want to be prepared.
Here is a site that might help you General Use First Aid and Medical Kits
Here is another - NOLS
The grand is one place to pay serious attention to your medical preparedness. IMHO

PM Be glad to help
Salidaboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014   #4

cedar city, Utah
They don't ever check content from my experience.

In general, first aid kit should match the skills of your highest trained participant. We have been lucky as we always have a WFR-certified rafter (myself, though expired) or above. I would hope most trip have at least a standard first aid trained individual as a minimum. Have them build or recommend the contents of the kit. I have downgraded my kit a bit over the years as I have failed to re-certify and practice in a meaningful way.

Use the various links above but make sure you know how to assess the situation and apply the right care before reaching into the kit.

Hope your national park floats are without incident.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014   #5
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
minimal is all you need unless you think you're going to be days away from help. Something to control bleeding, make a splint, a pocket mask, some ibuprofen, maybe an epi-pen if someone has a known bee allergy.

Antibiotic ointment, alcohol, neosporin, etc. is all fluff and is just taking up space.
streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014   #6

Salida, Colorado
I believe they are talking about the Grand which means you could be 20 days or more away from help. Minimal isn't very good advice.
Old 03-16-2014   #7
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salidaboater View Post
I believe they are talking about the Grand which means you could be 20 days or more away from help. Minimal isn't very good advice.
multi-day could also mean two days. As always everyone has there own opinion, this is just mine. Kind of like being a paramedic for 10 years… some one asks me to "do something" there isn't much you can do without your kit. You can have all the supplies in the world if you don't know how to use them it doesn't matter. Unfortunately definitive treatment for major trauma is always the OR. Doubt you're going to fit that into your first aid kit. (although I'm sure some people try!)

If I was trying to pack for a 20 day trip I might try to get some antibiotics, not sure how you're going to do that without a prescription though… and then you're practicing medicine without a license. A satellite phone would probably be more useful though...
streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014   #8

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdoctor View Post
multi-day could also mean two days. As always everyone has there own opinion, this is just mine. Kind of like being a paramedic for 10 years… some one asks me to "do something" there isn't much you can do without your kit. You can have all the supplies in the world if you don't know how to use them it doesn't matter. Unfortunately definitive treatment for major trauma is always the OR. Doubt you're going to fit that into your first aid kit. (although I'm sure some people try!)

If I was trying to pack for a 20 day trip I might try to get some antibiotics, not sure how you're going to do that without a prescription though… and then you're practicing medicine without a license. A satellite phone would probably be more useful though...
The second post in the thread refers to the Grand Canyon Website, which is why I assumed we are talking about the Grand. A large part of the Wilderness First Responder training is the difference between front country medicine and backcountry medicine. And a lot of emphasis on evacuation decision making.

On the Grand an Evac is very expensive and a serious event for the NPS and not done lightly. So a sat phone is not used lightly..

So the major medical kit needs to be well thought out. You may need to take care of certain wounds for an extended period of time, up to 20 days.

As well as other serious non evac events.
Old 03-16-2014   #9

Everett, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
OP asked what was required. Hence the link with the recommended list. If you follow that they can't complain.
Having the training to go with the kit of course is vital. Also knowing the health of your individuals is also key to knowing what extras you may need. Everyone should have basic first aid, just for everyday life.

REI & NOLS offer Wilderness First Aid every few months. Definitely worth the time and expense. Two months after I took it I was using the skills on a river with items I would not of thought to bring before the class. And that is with 30 years of basic/occupational FA background.
RASIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #10

Boston Mountains, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 2002
The list of "required items" for the Yampa/Green trip simply says one major medical kit. I don't think it went into detail about what was in one. I'm guessing those trips aren't "days away from care".

Thanks for the info. I've had WFA but we don't have any WFR's on the trip as yet.
PBR62 is offline   Reply With Quote