Main Salmon: yellowjackets - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-12-2013   #1

cedar city, Utah
Main Salmon: yellowjackets

Just got off a trip.... Definitely bring yellow jacket traps. Even with ours our crew got stung a few times. Swarms in the hundreds at many camps...issue at all camps and lunch spots we used. Would seriously reconsider going if you have known allergies as they normally get moe aggressive in months to come.

We used a trap by Rescue that was filled with water to activate attractant in plastic bag... We got at least 500 of them.

Phillip

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013   #2

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 80's
We are putting in on Sunday.....Thanks for the Heads-Up!
HalJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Yellow jackets are always pesky on the Main Salmon. Never heard of them swarming that bad though. The only time we've been stung was during the 2007 fire trip. The smoke made them super aggressive & crazy. The one thing I've noticed over the years on the MS is that the folks who usually get stung are the ones who freak out & swat at the yellow jackets. Those who are chill and just ignore them don't seem to get stung. However, swarms of hundreds of them is another matter altogether, and hard to ignore. Hope this is just a fluke thing this season. My crew went in late June and had no problems.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Got off MS Aug.1; 6 folks stung out of 19.
Two stung when yellowjackets were (unbeknownst) exploring inside their Keenes and then they shifted their foot position, unintentionally threatening the yj.
(It was kinda fun watching a yj using its whole body (looked like it was humping the pork!) to carve a piece of meat and carry it away.)
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #5

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
They were always present but tolerable in early July with the exception of Paine Creek. At Paine the dog was so bothered he pawed at the tent looking some relief and shelter. Agree it's best to not swat at them, if possible. Are traps the only solution for high population areas? I would like a different alternative.
cmharris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #6

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Thanks for the warning. Our big group with lots of kids is launching Monday. I got stung over the weekend which already had me thinking about taking some traps...
Old 08-13-2013   #7
RogueBoater

Keizer, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Thanks for the post! We launch on the Main on the 26th and I had been wondering about the bees. This year they seemed worse than normal on our Lower Salmon trip (a few weeks ago), so I was trying to formulate a game-plan.

I looked at the brand you used... Rescue. Did you have a new trap for each night? Did you hang more than one per camp? Other than Paine Creek, which camps were the worst? We are a small group, so we can camp pretty much anywhere. Any bee advice is welcome.

P.S. How were the biting flies?
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #8

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for the heads up! Anybody know if the road construction that was taking place last year below Carey Cr has been finished?
hialtitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #9

p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
yellowjackets

just got off the main on sat. the 10th. Yes the yellowjackets were a pain many people in our group got bitten and or stung, had huge problem at lower yellowpine camp. My wife got stung on her finger and it swelled up and look pretty bad turned ugly purple and hard to the touch. When we got back home she had a friend who is a nurse look at it who said that it probably got infected from scratching and itching and the bacteria on ones hand infected the wound,be sure to wash the area stung with soap, clean well apply a anti itching cream like benadryl and keep clean. We found that if we cooked near to the water's edge there seemed to be less insects. No sign of road construction on the way out but it was a weekend still the road was fine no problems.
rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #10

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
Thanks for the post! We launch on the Main on the 26th and I had been wondering about the bees. This year they seemed worse than normal on our Lower Salmon trip (a few weeks ago), so I was trying to formulate a game-plan.

I looked at the brand you used... Rescue. Did you have a new trap for each night? Did you hang more than one per camp? Other than Paine Creek, which camps were the worst? We are a small group, so we can camp pretty much anywhere. Any bee advice is welcome.

P.S. How were the biting flies?
Biting flies were not noticeable until last night at Johnson Bar.

We only had one trap and stored it inside 2 gallon zip locks between camps. Seemed to work fine if kept upright. We just added a little extra water each time we set it back up. If possible I would bring 2-3 and use the extras at the worst of camps. Just remember that they are an attractant though, so only use them when needed as they can exacerbate the problem in calm camps (only Upper Devils Tooth was mild for us and we didn't even use the trap for the 10-20 we saw).

Yellowjackets were bad at every camp and we were a small group using lower water beaches. They seemed to be the worst in the middle stretch of the river. That said, they were very active at Corn Creek camps from the beginning.

Definitely don't swat. It was the first time I have been stung by any, as we never experienced them on my previous trip. Odd sting that seems to come back at random times with pain and itching. Definitely keep them bites clean.

They love meat right now. Bacon, salmon, you name it. They are impressive to watch as they carry away chunks as big as themselves.

I assume there population sizes are similar issues related to red ants on the Grand. Hida had been poorly used by some groups before us and was horrible. We cleaned up the food trash that we could but the yellow jackets were there to stay.

Its a practice in Zen for sure as you try to cook and eat with 30-40 yellow jackets swarming around you. Definitely pissed our dog off.

Extremely glad no one got stung by the bald faced hornets on that were common as well. Same family as the yellow jackets but rumored to be extremely painful. At least a single yellow jacket sting is tolerable for those who aren't allergic.

Still a great trip, just took some getting use to.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote