Main Salmon: yellowjackets - Page 6 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-24-2013   #51

Shingle Springs, California
Paddling Since: 1992
We took off on Thursday, had a few stings in our group but nothing crazy. Over all they were not a trip killer just a little nuissance. Bring traps and keep a clean camp and you will be fine. We had a barrel for garbage that worked really well.

Also, plan for how you are going to get your trap down and into the garbage when you put it up other wise some one is going to have to take one for the team. We learned this the hard way.

The people in our group that had problems would freak out and start swatting at them. Keep calm and share your camp with them and you will not have a problem.

Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013   #52

billings, Montana
our group got off on wed. Motor camp and lower yellow pine were terrible. Literally thousands of bees. Pre- cooked meals and dont start cooking until dusk seemed to be our best defense. Our group was 14 and i think only one person didnt get stung. Im investing in a screen tent or 2 after that trip. Eat and walk. If I did it again I would stay at non-reservable small sites. The south fork camp was awesome. No bees
ptex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #53

Bend, Oregon
Just took off from a 5 night trip, still hanging in Riggins. YJs were definitely a pain in the ass, but no deal killer by any means. They got progressively worse from Corn Creek to Alder, Blackadar, and were at their peak at Big Mallard. Hainey was just your normal to be expected amount as was Upper Bull. The Carey Creek ramp was as bad as Corn Creek.

We had a really big group with lots of kids, but not a whole lot of stings (or bites). We also used a barrel for trash and a sand mat in the kitchen and hung traps a ways away. Most bites came from accidental contact with them; they are aggressively after food but could really care less about the humans carrying it around.

It was good to be forewarned and thus prepared for dealing with it. Would go again tomorrow if I could.
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013   #54

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
In the future, it might be good to take along a box of baking soda as an antidote. We have always found making a moist poultice of the powered soda and applying it to the bite really counteracts pain and swelling.
openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013   #55

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 80's
We took out on Friday. We were very thankful we had yellow jacket traps ( Rescue brand the BEST!) and a couple of netted canopies to cook and eat in. This years low water definitely makes you pay attention for sleepers, and it bumps up the II rated rapids a touch. The "new" rapids at Alder and Black Creek are obvious runs, after you take a peek at them.
HalJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013   #56

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Any more news on the Lower Salmon? Since I've only done it once, which camps are popular? It's looking like just the wife and I, so we have lots of flexibility.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013   #57

Bend, Oregon
camps

Don't even worry about camps with just two of you. We had a group of 26 so we were pretty well locked in to reserving big camps to make sure we had someplace that could accommodate all of us. With a small group at low water there are pretty much countless choices of cool little beaches that you could stay on. As a bonus, you probably won't encounter nearly as many yellow jackets staying on little used beaches. It makes me want to go back with a small group just to try some of them out.
Old 08-27-2013   #58

Beaverton, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalJ View Post
We took out on Friday. We were very thankful we had yellow jacket traps ( Rescue brand the BEST!) and a couple of netted canopies to cook and eat in. This years low water definitely makes you pay attention for sleepers, and it bumps up the II rated rapids a touch. The "new" rapids at Alder and Black Creek are obvious runs, after you take a peek at them.
I grabbed a couple from home despot this afternoon. How did you move them from camp to camp without having the yellow jackets follow the bright yellow thing?
Old 08-27-2013   #59

Bend, Oregon
We carried ours in a rocket box that was going to be our ash can. It was hot enough that we didn't bother with having a fire. The trapped YJs got tossed in the dumpster at Spring Bar on the drive out.
Old 08-27-2013   #60

Beaverton, Oregon
No concern with taking them down in the mornings? The cashier thought I'd have a cloud of the bastards chasing me when I moved it. I laughed, but thought it was worth asking.