Main Salmon: yellowjackets - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-13-2013   #11

cedar city, Utah
Road beyond Carey Creek was in great shape with no construction. Road, starting above Spring Bar, is black top with new white lines. Easy drive.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013   #12

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
The one thing I've noticed over the years on the MS is that the folks who usually get stung are the ones who freak out & swat at the yellow jackets. Those who are chill and just ignore them don't seem to get stung. However, swarms of hundreds of them is another matter altogether, and hard to ignore. Hope this is just a fluke thing this season. My crew went in late June and had no problems.
Everyone was mellow on our trip and 3 of 5 got stung. The one child was awesome as she has a mother who has a hobby of bee tending. The yellow jackets were exceptionally bold and curious as 3 of the 5 stings came to the feet after folks checked shoes diligently. They crawled into the shoes while cooking in the kitchen.

5 stings wasn't horrible actually. Just shocking to see so many at such small, clean camps. The larger groups seemed to have it worse and were noticeable for frazzled.

It could be related to all the smoke in the canyon from the Papoose Fire. Though it wasn't that bad for most of the trip.
Old 08-13-2013   #13

Santa Fe, New Mexico
We took out 8/3 and also had problems with yellow jackets. The only time they did not bother was in the rain or after dark. We would set up a decoy food table with scraps of meat or fruit away from the main cooking area (worked ok). One night we had a vinegar based appetizer and that also seemed to work as a repellant. We ended up setting out the appetizer on the subsequent evenings. One of our crew thought the large yellow jacket population was due to the relatively mild winter.
king kong kev is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013   #14

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
Everyone was mellow on our trip and 3 of 5 got stung. The one child was awesome as she has a mother who has a hobby of bee tending. The yellow jackets were exceptionally bold and curious as 3 of the 5 stings came to the feet after folks checked shoes diligently. They crawled into the shoes while cooking in the kitchen.

5 stings wasn't horrible actually. Just shocking to see so many at such small, clean camps. The larger groups seemed to have it worse and were noticeable for frazzled.

It could be related to all the smoke in the canyon from the Papoose Fire. Though it wasn't that bad for most of the trip.
The smoke definitely made them aggressive in 2007. Most stings were from them flying up into shirt sleeves & shorts. For sure talk with the kids on the upcoming trips about staying calm and not swatting wildly, as this just seems to make them worse. Also make sure to check soda/beer cans before sipping. They like to get inside those.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #15

cedar city, Utah
[QUOTE=cataraftgirl;331158 Also make sure to check soda/beer cans before sipping. They like to get inside those.[/QUOTE]

We found a simple solution to that....just rotate the tab around over the opening. Solved and never had another problem, though it came about after my wife almost swallowed one.

Phillip
Old 08-13-2013   #16

Lawson, Colorado
We had heard about the hornet problems on the Main, then got a TR from a friend last night said their group of 15 had trouble, almost everyone stung, he was personally stung 5 times. They just got off a few days ago.

Then there is this thread today...

So the question for those who are reporting first hand from recent trips: would you launch again now if you knew they were that bad? We are launching in a few weeks: right about when I would expect them to get more aggro.

Understand that some people wouldn't cancel for anything, and I am not one to cancel under almost any circumstances (read: RHT OK in November with snow), but the idea of dealing with angry hornets for a week just does not sound fun. Of course we have to deal with a few of them on most rivers, and they are more aggro in CO in Sept/Oct: however, these reports make it sound quite a bit more intense than usual.
eze420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #17

cedar city, Utah
I would still go with current situation though the guides and ranger mentioned they normally get worse as the season goes on. Posted original message as opportunity for permit holders to bring traps not to scare anyone away.

I will say that if there are people who have allergies and already carry a kit, then I would recommend they cancel. Not sure I would want to chance a systemic issue in the backcountry when there is a known problem.

If that is not your case, then I would still go and just plan accordingly. It was still one of the greatest trips I have taken. Bring the traps. Practice being calm around them. Wear shoes in camp. Setup kitchen near water (I agree we had fewer of them in those cases, like Upper Devils Tooth). Consider staying away from most popular camps. Bring meds for stings. Keep a clean and tidy kitchen.

And to clarify, all the species we saw were in the yellow jacket family (even the Bald Faced Hornet is a yellow jacket).

Your mileage may vary.

The norovirus may have also found its way to the Main stem. One group we launched with had a GI illness that moved through their entire group during the course of 5 days. Nothing life threatening, just problematic enough to "interfer with their drinking" (direct qoute). They had children though, which are often carriers (from my limited research). We had no problems but were diligent about washing hands before all meals and had a hand wash station setup on the path back from the toilet. They were the only group on our launch date to have problems. That said signs are at Corn Creek to warn folks about the possibility.

On a positive note, I have never had such good luck with fellow boaters as I did this trip. Everyone was extremely pleasant and flexible. Outfitters were thoughtful and fun to interact with.

All around one of the best rafting trips I have done in the last ten years. First time I had seen Black Canyon and enjoyed seeing how dynamic river systems are once again (arrived at a brand new rapid on the MFS a few years ago and have watched several rapids change in person on Deso). Great camps. Great swimming. Great combination and balance in rapids (some challenge and lots of fun).

Phillip
Old 08-13-2013   #18

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by eze420 View Post
So the question for those who are reporting first hand from recent trips: would you launch again now if you knew they were that bad?
Hmmm -- tough question. Personally, I would, but I think it depends on what other trip options you might have; how critical to you is THIS trip THIS time? (And not knowing what it might be like next season makes it tough).

Most of the time (on-river, in-tent) no problem! Big Fun!

I would get frazzeled if I had kitchen duty 3 times a day -- feel bad for the comercial guides!
One meal, when I was especially intolerant for some reason, I took my plate and walked a couple of hundred yards away and had a nice relaxing (but i-social) dinner!
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #19

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Took out on 8/4. The yellow jackets were awful. Everyone in our group of 13 got stung at least once and one guy got it on the tongue.

One of our beaches had a shallow, flat, gravel bar next to the beach. We put a few chairs out in the water that evening and the yellow jackets didn't venture out over the water.

A large screened tent would've been nice for dinner and breakfast. If you plan your lunches to be on the water you'll save yourself some grief.
Old 08-13-2013   #20

Canmore, People's Republic of Alberta
Paddling Since: 1982
I'm curious, are the yellow jackets a problem on the Lower Salmon as well?

We don't really seem to have them up here in Alberta, and we're heading down with a bunch of young kids next week.
Bruce from Canmore is offline   Reply With Quote