Main Salmon Solo Raft Trip - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Haiely, Idaho
Main Salmon Solo Raft Trip

As often happens with late season trips I lost my crew for a planned September 15 Main Salmon trip. Wanting to still go with one passenger on a Maravia Zephyr. Flows currently at 3570 CFS. Any thoughts or concerns about soloing on a trip like this? Did it last year with a group and have 5-6 MFS trips under our belt beforehand. Just curious how other rafters view soloists.

highaltitude okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Colorado, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by highaltitude okie View Post
As often happens with late season trips I lost my crew for a planned September 15 Main Salmon trip. Wanting to still go with one passenger on a Maravia Zephyr. Flows currently at 3570 CFS. Any thoughts or concerns about soloing on a trip like this? Did it last year with a group and have 5-6 MFS trips under our belt beforehand. Just curious how other rafters view soloists.
Just got off the Salmon on Monday and at current flows I would have absolutely no hesitations running it solo....plenty of other boaters on the river still if help is needed.
AzPackrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Haiely, Idaho
Thanks for the reply AzPackRafter. How many days did you take and how were the wicked little yellow monsters in camp during this time?
highaltitude okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Colorado, Colorado
Quote:
Thanks for the reply AzPackRafter. How many days did you take and how were the wicked little yellow monsters in camp during this time?
We ran Corn to Carey over 6 nights and 7 days, started to run out of river towards the end so our last 2 days were very short at 6 miles each, didn't like camping down lower much as it was very freaking hot! Yellow jackets were a non issue up closer to Corn, after S.F. confluence then we started to notice more at camps but we were never over ran by them nor did any of us get stung...except that one knucklehead who took a nice big chug from his beer can after scouting Black Creek, found there was a yellow jacket enjoying his beer and got stung on his lip.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Colorado, Colorado
FYI I also saw 1 boater that was solo on his trip, 2 ppl on the raft tho.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Just curious how other rafters view soloists.
Iím fine with them, as long as they are being responsible, prepared, and make good decisions.

Be ready to take care of yourself, and not need a thing from anyone, but be willing to ask for help, if something happens and you need it.
Everyone needs help on the river at some point, no matter of group size.

Thatís the best that I can answer that specific question.
Iíve done my share of solo trips before, and will fault no one for running alone, as long as there smart about it, responsible.
Never run the main, so will let others answer that part.

Have a great trip!
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Hamilton, Montana
Paddling Since: 2013
I think you'll be fine. I wish my schedule allowed me to beg my way onto the trip. As to yellowjackets, i've heard they're more of a problem in the more popular camps; with just 2 of you at low water there are a lot of little sand beaches that don't get much use, and should have fewer YJs.
Montana Cat 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I will be launching on the eighth for my second solo Main trip. I did seven nights last year at about the same level as it is now. This year I am going to do nine nights and take out at short’s bar. This will be my third solo trip, I have also done deso/gray, and by solo I mean one person. My biggest concern has always been screwing up and getting separated from the boat, then being stuck bushwhacking down the river- if it’s even possible- hoping the boat eddies out somewhere not too far down stream!
So, I carry whistle, mirror, waterproof matches, small flashlight, and a protein bar or some gorp in my PFD. I also wear a waist belt with rope and basic pin kit.
Then I figure worst case I have to ride out the night somewhere and hope the next group coming by would like to help me recover that big ol jug of whiskey in my boat!
MaxPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
The soloist stuck on the rock for an hour somewhere around 5 mile when the river was at 6 feet raised a few eyebrows from my group! Nah, wouldn't do that.

At low flows before we really knew the river we had a couple of one boat 2 person trips, the plan was to have me on shore with a rope if we didn't like the look of something, needless to say there was nothing that caused us angst. If you have several MFs under your belt I don't see any reason to not do it, there are some super sweet one boat camps. Of course, shit can always happen and being one boat is riskier but the Main at low flows is a forgiving creature if you respect her. If you want complete safety stay at home and knit, though mom always warned me those knitting needles can take your eye out.
wshutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

Ft jones, United States
Paddling Since: 1985
I've run it solo a handful of times, maybe 5. From down around zero feet, up to 6.6.

Definitely more comfortable at lower flows.

Ben
BenSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote