Main salmon playboatin - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-28-2019   #1

Main salmon playboatin

Hi, I will be running the main salmon for my 1st time I in sept after permit season. Corn to spring bar. Is there enough play features at low water to warrant bringing along my playboat and strapping it to my raft? Cheers

wharf-rat is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2019   #2

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Yes, you'll find waves all day long every day that you wish you could drop in. But will the group want to wait around and watch you surf all day??? I think a JK fun is about the perfect boat for that run. But you kind a need to be playing get ahead of the group and catch up all day that time of year. There is a lot of slack below sfs and flows should be low and days will be short and nights will be long and river miles will be harder to atain in light. So, you will be working with 13 hours of light in the bottom of a canyon (2 of those hours are dawn and dusk). It will get cold and you wont be dry if your surfing a lot...
Old 02-28-2019   #3

Great beta, I think I will bring the playboat for some good ol soul surfing and Ditch the oars for a day. Any particular rapid, day or stretch that I will want to playboat rather than oar a tank. I guess the move might be to share a kayak with other buddies
wharf-rat is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2019   #4

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
8 out of 10 waves will be catch on the fly. In the middle of the river or drop. But catch on the fly is well above average standards on the main. Lots of the waves would be lined up for if they were anywhere else. Almost every drop has something. But September is dicey. At low flows, small flow changes can make all the difference in the world. I'd say that if you could do a 1/2 day on the water above sfs and do something where you keep your eye open for a wave. Then try to camp around the corner. Or if you pass a sweat looking wave and can lunch??? The last stretch above carry is slooooow but the drops are glassy.. If you trained someone on the oars, you could seal launch into bliss. And easily catch the group. Just saying