Main Salmon or other Multi-day for Family Trip - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 01-05-2014   #1

Ashland, Oregon
Main Salmon or other Multi-day for Family Trip

Headed out from S. Oregon for a mid-july trip in Idaho. We are 3-4 rafts of 4-6 adults and 4-5 kids potentially (ages 5-9). We are looking for a multi-day (4-5+ night ideal). Rowing experience varies. All of us have rowed and are comfortable with the Rogue Wild and Scenic but we also know it pretty well. We have done some harder runs but would not want to do anything harder than the Rogue with kids at this point (though we would consider runs where we could walk kids around certain rapids). We are chatting about the Main Salmon, Lower Salmon and the Snake but have not identified any sections. I am looking for advice for a multi-day out there that meets our timing and ability. Advice on runs (put-ins/take outs) and levels for our family in July would help a lot. Thanks buzzards!--------Oregon595

Oregon595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014   #2

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Are you planning to enter the 4 rivers lottery?
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #3

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2012
Main Salmon from Corn Creek to Vinegar would be ideal with kids, but you're going to need a permit, and they are only available by lottery through the 4 Rivers Lottery.

Good luck! I've never drawn a permit, but my wife did last year. It was her first year applying. Go figure.
Flyingmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014   #4

bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
What Flyingmike said. We ran the Main in late July 2013 and had a blast! 4 boats, 8 "adults" and 8 kids ages 4-9. I'd do it again in a heartbeat even though myself and two others in our group got the norovirus.
meanjoebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #5

Ashland, Oregon
yes ... I am planning to do the 4 rivers lottery....been trying the mf for the last 3 years with no luck so gona go for a family trip....I'll look up the stretch mentioned....any intell on the snowpack thus far? Thanks for the answers so far....Oregon595
Old 01-05-2014   #6

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon595 View Post
yes ... I am planning to do the 4 rivers lottery....been trying the mf for the last 3 years with no luck so gona go for a family trip....I'll look up the stretch mentioned....any intell on the snowpack thus far? Thanks for the answers so far....Oregon595
Snowpack sucks. Probably low flow after second week of July. Look at a late July trip as winnable in the lottery. Pick an entry with five private launches. Get use to the concept of backpack style camping and rock dodging but still worth it
Old 01-07-2014   #7

Ashland, Oregon
Thanks for the replies thus far? Has anyone done multiday sections on the Lower Salmon and can speak to the character of the rapids/camping etc.?...thanks
Old 01-07-2014   #8

SLC, Utah
lower salmon

Yeah I have done probably 20 trips down the lower salmon from hammer creek to heller bar. The trip is a great alternative if you don't snag a permit. It has great splashy rapids and never gets to low. However it is becoming increasingly popular and there has been many issues with groups not following proper wilderness camping techniques that may soon lead the BLM to move this river to the lottery. The run is something like 84 miles, four canyons, and wonderful large beach camps. The rapids are all straight forward for the most part class 3. There are two that are considered class 4 Snowhole and China, however I would rate them as 3+, if you know where to be they are very easy. You actually exit on the snake river, the confluence with the salmon is awesome. However after that the next 20 miles provides little flow and most who are in the know choose to bring a motor for this part of the float out to Heller Bar in Washington. To park at Hellar bar you now need a state of washington discover pass 30$ which can be purchased in Asotin on the way to the takeout when running your shuttle. I normally run my own shuttle as it is one of the easier shuttles at about 5 hours and on good roads. On a side note this river has one rapid THE SLIDE that gets massive and becomes class 5/6 at high flows, which you won't have in mid july but its good to keep in mind.
screamingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #9

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
The jet boats don't camp with the same rules rafters do! that could be some of the problems on the lower Salmon.
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote