Main Salmon campsite reservations Survey - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-01-2015   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
Main Salmon campsite reservations Survey

The USFS is considering increasing the number of camps on the Main Salmon that can be reserved. Currently only certain sites in the wilderness section of the river are reservable. The Idea is to go to closer to 100% reservable sites like the Middle Fork is. Your input is being sought to help with that decision. I am not taking a stand for or against more camps being reserved. I would be interested to hear your thoughts but either way you all might want to take the survey so your vote is counted.

Link can be found on Cascade Outfitters FB page: https://www.facebook.com/CascadeOutfitters

Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2015   #2

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Would this mean no more layover days on the main?
cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015   #3

Boise, Idaho
Here is the link to the Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/campsitesMS

I am uncertain about how that would impact layovers. I suspect it would be like the MFS where layovers are hard during peak season but I just dont know. I have yet to find a source for info on what the actual plan would be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2015   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I for one like the idea. At least with the largest desirable camps. Peace of mind IMO.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015   #5

Boise, Idaho
I just emailed the USFS to see if I can get any info on the survey, it's motivation and intent. I will be shocked if I hear back but thought it might be interesting to inquire. If i hear back I will share here.
Old 03-01-2015   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
We rarely ever use reserved camps, do layovers on every trip, and always have a small group. Not sure I'd want to change things in a way that would prevent us from doing 1-2 layovers per trip. That would suck big time! I do understand the peace of mind thing though.
Old 03-01-2015   #7

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
We rarely ever use reserved camps, do layovers on every trip, and always have a small group. Not sure I'd want to change things in a way that would prevent us from doing 1-2 layovers per trip. That would suck big time! I do understand the peace of mind thing though.
I agree with this. I think the current hybrid system is the best of both worlds. Those who want peace of mind can often get most camps reserved ahead while those of us who like to lay over and have some freedom can mix it up.

I know why the system exists on the MFS but the one time I was on a trip I found the system a bit stifling. Part of what I love about the river experience is being able to float on river time and make decisions with the information presented at hand. There aren't too many other occasions in life with that type of freedom and thoroughly enjoy that privilege.

I hate that so much is filtered through FaceBook now. I deleted my account 1.5 years ago because I didn't like so many facets and one was data collection. Is there a direct link to a survey that isn't directed through social media?

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015   #8

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post

I agree about the layover thing although I have never done one but do see the worth in them.
Things get more complicated with bigger groups. I am only in favor of reserved camps that will accommodate large groups. And I personally feel that the larger more desirable camps should not be used for layovers. If that means that large groups don't get to layover so be it.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015   #9

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
I hate that so much is filtered through FaceBook now. I deleted my account 1.5 years ago because I didn't like so many facets and one was data collection. Is there a direct link to a survey that isn't directed through social media?

Phillip
Phillip,
Here is the Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/campsitesMS I agree with you on the Facebook thing. That just was where it was sent to me from originally. I also agree with you on the hybrid system.
Old 03-01-2015   #10

cedar city, Utah
Thanks for the link. The one benefit to social media is it can get the word out faster.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote