Main Salmon: Alternate Start - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-24-2013   #1
 
cedar city, Utah
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,261
Main Salmon: Alternate Start

Hey Folks,

I pulled a ridiculous move on my permit and told the people that are flying in to Boise that we launch a day earlier than our permit allows. Never made a mistake like this before and obviously feel idiotic. That said, its not worth changing each of their flights for the $200 fee so.....

I am thinking we might launch higher up. That said, what is the etiquette of launching at Cache Bar? I assume if we launch early enough we should miss the takeout crowd but wanted to survey folks. I could also launch at Confluence but I am not sure I want my passengers to get Cramer with no warm up.

Sucks as we lose a day on the river as their flights are already booked but at least we still get 6 full days on the Main, though I was looking forward to seven.

Any thoughts? The other option is just to hotspring tour the area which could still be a blast but not what everyone signed up for. Surveying the options before I break the news to the crew as I just discovered the discrepancy while paying the group fees. Never imagined I would make such a simple logistical error after doing such big trips for almost 2 decades.

Phillip

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-24-2013   #2
 
Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 791
Spend a day somewhere on the Payette?

Cache Bar to Corn Cr isn't much. I did it a couple of weeks ago, although not by design, so I might not have appreciated it as much as it deserves. I don't recall any superb river camps, although you could day trip and camp at Corn Cr.
__________________
I'm not happy about being over the hill, but I am grateful there wasn't a cliff at the summit! - Frank and Ernest
Wadeinthewater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #3
 
Salt Lake, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 68
when was the last time you ran cramer? It really has mellowed a lot over the years compared to what it used to be. I would start somewhere up stream of cache bar and camp at corn creek....really not the end of the world.
skiersteve3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-24-2013   #4
 
Avatard's Avatar
 
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,191
i see commercials running the section between north fork and the confluence all the time. they have a bunch of paddlers.

depending on your dates you may be able to still cancel and pick another permit. I went online and checked --- There were a couple of MFS openings at the end of the month, and that's a much shorter drive from Boise. Even with low water I think you'd probably have more fun on the MFS anyhow, that is assuming you fly in some coolers to indian ...

another option is to watch the recreation.gov site and look for a late cancellation on the day you really want to launch the main --- probably some of the people who signed up for your day is having second thoughts due to the flows.

If you do attempt this, drop off the number of people on the permit online so there is less fiscal penalty when you cancel. the cancellation will result in you losing your rights to enter the lottery for that river for a few years but if it saves you a day then its no issue.

third option is to enjoy the water amusement park in Boise!!!
__________________
________________________________________
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #5
 
Rojo's Avatar
 
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1985
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 226
Upper launch

We like to launch at Spring Bar for an extra day on the river.
A long push and you can camp on the beach across from Corn creek and shuttle over in the morning for camp site drawing and then back again for the full inspection.
An easier day is to camp rr below the orchard below Owl Creek.
Decent camp seperated from roadway by big Ponderosa/Yellow pines.

You may also be able to camp near Cove Creek with vehicle access, but this may be posted as day-use area.

Having the extra day buffer at the start of the trip saved our permit last year when we had to delay a full day in Green River Utah awaiting an idler pulley and serpentine belt.
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #6
 
cedar city, Utah
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiersteve3 View Post
when was the last time you ran cramer? It really has mellowed a lot over the years compared to what it used to be. I would start somewhere up stream of cache bar and camp at corn creek....really not the end of the world.
I am currently inclined to run with that option. Gets us on the river the # of days planned and gives us a mellow day of floating. Bummed to lose a day in the Main canyon but really not a huge deal.

I have wanted to float the section above the confluence for a while but I am thinking my 18 foot boat is too much of a pig for such low water. Its gonna be a tight fit on the Main as it is but I don't have any other options for boats for the trip.

Other option, if river drops drastically, is to just cancel our Main permit and float the Lower since it has increased flow from all the tributaries. Permit holder can't apply for 3 years but might be worth the loss since the river is dropping steadily and we are still 2 weeks out.

Thanks for the info....keep it coming as there are options i haven't thought of yet.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #7
 
cedar city, Utah
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
We like to launch at Spring Bar for an extra day on the river.
A long push and you can camp on the beach across from Corn creek and shuttle over in the morning for camp site drawing and then back again for the full inspection.
An easier day is to camp rr below the orchard below Owl Creek.
Decent camp seperated from roadway by big Ponderosa/Yellow pines.

You may also be able to camp near Cove Creek with vehicle access, but this may be posted as day-use area.

Having the extra day buffer at the start of the trip saved our permit last year when we had to delay a full day in Green River Utah awaiting an idler pulley and serpentine belt.
Sorry to hear about the car problems, hoping we don't experience that. All things considered it was better to have an extra day then make the mistake in the opposite direction. Biggest hassle will be dealing with the hazing that I rightfully deserve; guessing it will last a few years.

Thanks for the detailed information. That helps a lot.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #8
 
cataraftgirl's Avatar
 
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,344
I'd vote to launch higher up and run Cramer. If this is day one of your trip, might as well make it a good one. Cramer is exciting, but not that bad. Cache Bar to Corn Creek would be ok, but pretty short day and more time hanging out in the campground. As for timing on a Cache Bar launch, we usually get there off the MFS around 10:00 - 11:00, and there's usually one other group close behind us. We're a pretty early starting group, and we have to drive home to Utah that day. I'd guess later in the day would be more crowded. Plus some outfitters do their resupply in the afternoon at Cache Bar for the MS after they run the MFS.

PS - Don't cancel your permit because of water. The MS is never too low. Your 18 footer will be just fine. I've run it at minus 2.5 ft and we had 18 foot rafts with no problem whatsoever. The only tight spot was the slot at Salmon Falls, and that's not an issue any more.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #9
 
cedar city, Utah
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
We like to launch at Spring Bar for an extra day on the river.
Hey Rojo,

Where is Spring Bar? The only one I can find is close to Riggins after the Main ends.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #10
 
cataraftgirl's Avatar
 
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,344
Cove Creek is above, but I've not heard of a Spring Bar above, just below.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compare Main Salmon w/Lower Salmon freeagua Whitewater Kayaking 9 01-03-2013 05:52 PM
Main Salmon tczues Kayaking | Trip Planner 13 07-17-2012 05:21 PM
Marsh creek Middlefork of the salmon and Main Salmon reuben Kayaking | Trip Planner 3 04-20-2012 03:50 PM
Main Salmon cbieh589 Whitewater Kayaking 2 05-16-2008 01:41 PM
main salmon mitgreer Whitewater Kayaking 1 05-17-2004 01:56 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.