MacGeyver Oar Tower Fix - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-22-2017   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
MacGeyver Oar Tower Fix

Just thought I'd share this in case it helps someone else down the road. We did a Deso trip last month with two boats; me in my Aire 156R and a couple of friends in his new-to-him 30 year old Riken. About 33 miles into the trip a welded oar tower on his frame snapped off just below Flat Canyon. We got tied up and I ferried them to the shore right before Dripping Springs Rapid.

We got to shore and started brainstorming how to get out of the situation. The oar towers were welded onto steel plates so even if we found a way to attach the broken one elsewhere on the frame, it would be impossible to move the other to make them close to even for rowing. And the steel plate made attaching it there impossible. We thought we were going to have to deflate his boat and load everything into my raft. Fortunately we came up with the idea to cannibalize the NRS foot bar off of my raft and combine it with some backup pipe clamps he had for his pins and clips setup. He ended up rowing the rest of the 50+ miles down the canyon like that with no problem. In fact, he said the slightly elevated fix felt better than the original. I'll never head out on the river without pipe clamps again.

Some pics once we got back home and started cleaning up the boats:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg our-fix.jpg (1.37 MB, 953 views)
File Type: jpg normal.jpg (1.66 MB, 924 views)

bcpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2017   #2
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
very good brainstorming that took place there! looks like the foot bar is a handy item to have along with the hose clamps. I don't have any rigging that requires hose clamps for my boat.. but I do have 6 of them in my repair kit just in case they are needed, 2 of them are 3" clamps for bigger challenges.
Old 09-23-2017   #3

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Total Genius

I see nothing is going to stand in your way, of completing a nice river trip. A thought process like that, to engineer a successful working solution out of what was available or on hand does not come over night, nice work getting it done. Deso is a great selection of river with beautiful scenery, that is one of my favorate rivers.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2017   #4

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Awesome fix on the fly. We had a similar experience. It was a 16 Aire. The front right bladder blew on a day trip. No one had an Allen wrench that would undo the screws on the zipper guard. It had to come off to make the repair. We were all standing around wondering what to do when my friend Bob said why not stuff two thwarts in there and zip the thing up. So we did. Turned the boat around backwards and took it on down the remaining 8 miles.
Old 10-10-2017   #5

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
MacGyver would have made an arc welder out of a flashlight and tent stakes.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote