Lower seat, raise towers, or chop oars? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-12-2013   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Lower seat, raise towers, or chop oars?

Hey Gang,
I have been setting up my 14ft RM raft all spring and finally got the frame.
I am having an issue with oar height and balancing. I am running 10ft oars. My rowing seat is mounted on a piece of birch ply that is strapped to the top of the dry box(see pics). When "rowing" in the garage I feel the there is not enough knee clearance when I lift my oar out of the "water". My oar towers are in the most upright position. When the oars are parallel to the "water" the are level with the front of my knee caps. This upright tower position also creates the problem of the oars being completely unbalanced.
Any advise would be helpful. And I apologize in advance if these are stupid questions or the answer is obvious. This is my first boat and setting it up is all new to me. Her maiden voyage just may be the North Fork of the Flathead later this month!
Also I attached a couple pics of the captain's floor and stern beaver tail I just completed.

Thanks!
j

jleidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Sorry,
Couldn't figure out how to post pics...
Also, I think I can have the guys at work seld another section on the the towers to raise my oar height. I could also then rotate them outward to help with balancing...?

photo 4 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
photo 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
photo 1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
photo 3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
jleidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Not silly questions. It can be a trick to get this geometry figured out. How wide is you frame? ten footers may be pushing it for that rig. I'd borrow some nines and see how that feels before modifying anything. For garage rowing, you could simulate with a fake oar blade replacement, but you won't quite feel the actual weight of nines.

It doesn't take much change at tower height to make a big change either. you could simulate this by raising your towers into the top of the base and engage just the one set screw. dont row it that way though.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013   #4

Cedar City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1963
I had the same problem with my 16 ft Daddy Cat. My seat is on top of my cooler, which extends 3 inches above the frame and makes it too high. You either have to lower the seat (pad on drybox or move the drybox to another location) or raise the towers. I think it is more comfortable to lower the seat if you can. I run 9 ft oars on my 14 ft Avon and that system seems to work well. Hoep this helps
Old 07-12-2013   #5

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Nice floor and beavertail! What did you use to coat them?
You might try lowering the drybox, but be careful not to drop it so much that it rubs on the floor. or get rid of the seat? I run 9 1/2 ' oars on a 14' x 7' nrs and have a similar issue with the height of the rowing position. I've ordered some custom oarlocks from Pro-loks which should give me a couple more inches of height. If it does I may be able to add a seat as currently row from the padded drybox.
Have fun and get it on the water!
Old 07-12-2013   #6
swimming

Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
First off I will start by saying that is a pretty clean looking setup for coming out of Colorado.

This is what I have found in my travels, I live in Idaho just outside of Boise but I work in Oregon a lot. I run across a lot of boaters. There is one thing that Colorado is not good at and that is setting up frames and geometry.

At the Lochsa this year all the guys from Oregon had killer frames set up nice and they fit like a glove. Most were Madcatr's,Canyons, and some Sotars. Those guys know how to setup frames. Cy here at Cambridge sets up a nice frame for geometry.

I purchased my raft frame out of Oregon just because it was nicer than any other and also fit excellent as a frame should when you buy a new one. Every time I have heard ANY one in Oregon they can't believe people buy frames from AAADRERBW ETC ETC the refer to them as floating lawn chairs for the pool, or sewer pond railings, " that is what they use those fittings on out there I guess" and they all say the same thing, "These feel terrible".

I was recently at one of the Oregon meetings for boating where someone had one of those exact frames they bought used with a boat and over 40 people wanted to sit in it just to see how it felt. Every single one though it was awful for setup and geometry.

Now the Colorado people who think they are rafting gods by the way will tell you how you have to be able to move bars and adjust this and that. Well of course because they have no idea how to setup a frame so they would be screwed if people couldn't rebuild it after they buy it.

I post this because this comes up too often, " I am setting up a rig and this doesn't fit or that doesn't fit right, " Always a handrail by the way ".

If you want a frame that fits go to a real Pro builder and get on that is built correct. Like when I bought mine it is built right I don't need to move anything it is perfect. You do have a nice little project going there, one of the nicer I have seen out that way I would go back to where you bought it and ask the so called pro's of Colorado to fix it, or call one of the shops in Oregon and send them a picture they can tell you straight up how to fix it.

Great job on the deck piece, that does look nice

And you probably should have no longer than 9.5 oars on that boat
orto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013   #7

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by orto11 View Post
And you probably should have no longer than 9.5 oars on that boat
This much is true. Maybe even 9 ft.
Old 07-12-2013   #8

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
oh boy, I'm sure glad I live in nevada.....
Old 07-12-2013   #9
swimming

Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
Oh by the way , you are way ahead of the game for a first boat.
You can feel the boat is not right. Most people can't or don't know any better

They listen to other people or the person selling it. You know it isn't right, when you get into a frame you shouldn't ever think about it, the frame should seamlessly work with you not against you.

Good Luck

oarframe- now that's funny
orto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013   #10

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'd comment on your setup, but I'm from Colorado and I guess I don't know a fucking thing.