Lower salmon-vinegar creek to eagle creek? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-27-2018   #1

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
Lower salmon-vinegar creek to eagle creek?

I am looking for information on the lower salmon. We are thinking about putting in at vinegar creek and taking out just above Slide.

Which takeout would we shoot for if we donít want to run Slide? And how many river miles would that be?
What is the camping like along the road?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Birgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2018   #2

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
When? It's running at 60,000+ at the moment and has that malevolent look to it or are you looking for later in the season?

Approx (from memory not looking at map) 25 miles Vinegar to Riggins, 30 miles Riggins to Hammer Creek, 39 miles Hammer to Eagle Creek. You'd make the miles fast at these flows as long as there are no mishaps. We have never driven Eagle Creek road - it has a bad reputation and you would want to check locally as there have been some recent washouts of other roads. Pine bar is about 10 miles downstream from Hammer CK and has paved access. Everything would be high bench camping at this point at 60,000 it is basically bank to bank with no beaches, that might make camping on the hwy 195 road stretch tricky as many benches are private but there is a campground at Slate Creek rec area you could access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgit View Post
I am looking for information on the lower salmon. We are thinking about putting in at vinegar creek and taking out just above Slide.

Which takeout would we shoot for if we donít want to run Slide? And how many river miles would that be?
What is the camping like along the road?

Any info would be greatly appreciated
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018   #3

Flagstaff, Arizona
We are planning to put in July 10, so the water should be down. But we still would like to have a backup in case it doesnít come down enough by then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2018   #4

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Snowpack in the basin was over 100% average in a few places but has come off early, take a look and you'll see many snowtel sites (Banner, Secesh, etc) have zeroed out early. So no Slide worries by then; I'm betting it will be down to riffle status below 10,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgit View Post
We are planning to put in July 10, so the water should be down. But we still would like to have a backup in case it doesnít come down enough by then.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018   #5

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
We are launching July 6 from Riggins. We plan to go to Heller Bar, and are watching the river flow carefully. It is peaking right now, about two weeks early and higher than average. That (we hope) means that the flow will be under the 20,000 cfs threshold for safely running Slide Rapid. I've run the Vinegar Creek to Heller Bar stretch a few times, and I have a detailed map that shows the places we've camped and other campsites we've noted in passing. I can PM that.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018   #6

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2010
I am planning a trip from Hammer Creek to Heller Bar launching July 5th. I also have been watching the flow closely and with some trepidation. It is reassuring to hear that the consensus is for lower, more manageable flows by then. What is the tipping point, flow wise, for Slide? I will be in an Aire 156 and will have a 14' cat and a couple kayaks along.. I was thinking 15-17000 cfs would be the limit. Thoughts?
KiltedKayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018   #7

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
I would not pull a trailer down and out of eagle creek unless I had too. That's a long rough haul. If it stays hot, then the river could be under 20K. It will be anyone's guess on flows. I don't run the slide over 17500. camping wont be an issue. I don't think anyone shuttles eagle creek. So, you'd need to bring your shuttle guy and get everything in the shuttle rig(s). If you do eagle be prepared to be committed.
Old 05-30-2018   #8

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1989
I would 2nd what DB kayaker said about Eagle Creek. Pine Bar is much better option if not going to Heller Bar. The slide maybe to 20k, a bit higher maybe 27 in a hard shell kayak. Saw a Dory get a beat down there once about 27k.
Vasevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018   #9

Eastside, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
The Northwest River Forecast Center currently predicts the Salmon (at Whitebird) to be at 11,977 cfs on July 5
Koffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018   #10

Flagstaff, Arizona
What does that translate to for the section where Slide is? I am rather unfamiliar with the Salmon (as you can tell ) and do not know where the gauges are.