Lower Salmon- Crowd Control? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-08-2018   #1

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2010
Lower Salmon- Crowd Control?

Planning at Lower Salmon trip this summer either last week of July or early August (read: peak season). We are flexible with dates within that range meaning we could leave midweek if advantageous. We have a good sized group of rafters and want to take our time.

My Question is: how bad are the crowds at that time? Is it very bad camp compitition or are most groups able to find good sandy beach sites if they get up at a decent hour?

Does anyone have strategies to beat the crowds during the busy weeks?

Thanks!!!

Hans n Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2018   #2

Portland, Oregon
Seems to me the end of that river always feels way more crowded than the start. For the least amount of crowding I would recommend timing your takeout for Thursday or Friday to get ahead of the rush.
jbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018   #3

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
The last couple time we went (first week of Aug), we launched on Weds and Thurs, respectively, which put us a couple days ahead of the weekend launches and jet boat traffic. There will be groups on the river, but there are a lot of beaches to be had as long as you're flexible. It's a great stretch of river.
seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2018   #4

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
There are lots of camps if your not too picky. The crowd is just like every other crowd. If you put in friday, saturday, or sunday. You can expect to be fighting the whole trip because you'll be the "rush hour" traffic. Put in on tuedays, wenessday, or thursday and its a completely different river.

IF your fighting the crowd. Be on the water by 9am and find camp by 2pm and you'll be good to go.

If you think you'll sleep in, you pay for it..
Old 01-09-2018   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I've been down there when it has been super busy at the end of July. We stayed at Geneva beach on the Snake for our last camp and had 3 other groups camp with us including jetboaters partying all night. The whole trip was crazy trying to find a camp. The camp by 2pm advice is good advice. We were scrambling everyday trying to find a spot if we got up late. The takeout was nuts as well. We waited for the ramp but ended up just taking off on the side of the river near the parking lot.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018   #6

white salmon, Washington
That's why I go in September now.

We have gone the past 4 years in middle to late Sept and it has been a blast with NO ONE out there....
donutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018   #7

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Mid week launch, short first day if you weekend launch, sleep in only on layover days. Or, jet boat shuttle so you don't have to take so much time on the snake and you can have easy days on the Salmon.
Conundrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018   #8

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2010
Thanks everyone for the advise!
Hans n Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018   #9

Missoula, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
Or, jet boat shuttle so you don't have to take so much time on the snake and you can have easy days on the Salmon.
Or bring a motor. Although, I feel everyone should row the Snake at least once.
seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018   #10

Northwest, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantana View Post
Or bring a motor. Although, I feel everyone should row the Snake at least once.
It's funny you posted this. I've been thinking about rowing it the next time I float that section, and just add a day (or two) onto the itinerary to enjoy it.

I've only done it once and motoring Snake Lake was fun, but I'd like to experience it on the sticks.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote