Lower Salmon Beta - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-13-2015   #1

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
Lower Salmon Beta

I have the week after next off and I am thinking of doing the lower Salmon. Can anyone give me any info on some of the better places to stop? With the levels between 4000-6000 CFS should I expect any big water, ir more technical rapids?

Thanks.

Kyle

Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015   #2

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Bump

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015   #3

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Heading down there the first week in August, myself. Just jumping in to get notifications on this thread.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015   #4

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
call All River Shuttles and talk to Michelle. Great shuttle service located in white bird and she has info, maps, good solid ice, ECT.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015   #5

Spokane Valley, Washington
Paddling Since: 1966
Here's some informative sites to check out. The BLM has a nice river guide that you can obtain or print out and make copies. At these flows some of the rapids disappear and others show up. The biggest issue is avoidance of rocks and the slower water flows mean that you will either float slowly or row a lot. Longer time on the water than earlier in the season. Snake Lake (River) can have strong upstream winds as the day heats up.

dirftboatrick

BLM Info: Boater Guide - Hammer Creek to Heller Bar

Temperatures and weather: Climate Grangeville - Idaho and Weather averages Grangeville

Campsite Photos: Lower Salmon
Old 07-13-2015   #6

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
Good stuff amsrick. Been fumbling around for a week or so and have not found that good of beta on the camps etc thanks!

I too am thinking on putting a trip together for the 2nd or 3rd week in August for this section and have never done it before. I am wondering how many days most people spend doing it. I would like to do it in 3 but am unsure if that is possible or not? I possibly could get a 4th day off but 3 would be ideal. I'm not opposed to long river days... I actually prefer being on the boat and floating than sitting in camp anyways.

If targeting 3-4 days what is the best option for takeout? So far I have found the 4 options
1) jet up to Pittsburg from the confluence
Who is good to use and how much does this typically cost?
2) pack a motor and motor down river to heller
What HP motor are people using, I've heard 15hp works but can I go smaller? I'd probably have 2-3 boats strung together.
3) take out at eagle creek and use eagle creek road
Just how nasty is this road? Sounds like it can get tight in spots and would leave racing stripes on your truck?
4) row snake lake
Not really an option for my time constraint.

Also I would be floating it over a weekend Saturday Sunday Monday... would the longer river days make it hard for me to find a camp? I'm just not sure how crowded it can get.

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
IdahoRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015   #7

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
I would like to do it in 3 but am unsure if that is possible or not?

Yes you can do it in 3 longs days from hammer to heller. If you want to save time put in a pine bar

If targeting 3-4 days what is the best option for takeout? So far I have found the 4 options
1) jet up to Pittsburg from the confluence
Way too much $ for my budget. Plus not the best drive out but closer to boise.

2) pack a motor and motor down river to heller
I have used 5hp and 3 boats just fine.

3) take out at eagle creek and use eagle creek road
Its a nice road these days. But its would take over 3 hours to get to Winchester.

4) row snake lake
I do it all the time. Just get below egale creek or on the snake on last nite.

Also I would be floating it over a weekend Saturday Sunday Monday... would the longer river days make it hard for me to find a camp?
Finding a camp on that weekend will be nut ball. My rule is to have a camp by 2pm! Plan to share. Its gona be like Walmat on Black Friday. No shit!

I'm just not sure how crowded it can get.

It will be a constant stream of Jet boats and floaters. above pine bar. Below pine bar will limit the jet boats to egale creek. It will be an ant farm. Boat to boat traffic. you will not be more than 1/4 from people at any time! When it gets like this I put in at bentz and avoid hammer.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015   #8

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
thanks! how long does it take you with the 5 hp and 3 boats for snake lake?

like Walmart on black Friday... yuck!

sounds like i should try for the 4 day and be sure to have a camp earlier in the day.

thanks for the info dirtbag.
IdahoRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015   #9

Bazzaro, Free
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggins View Post
I have the week after next off and I am thinking of doing the lower Salmon. Can anyone give me any info on some of the better places to stop? With the levels between 4000-6000 CFS should I expect any big water, ir more technical rapids?

Thanks.

Kyle
Its all good. Lots of beaches. No real great hikes or ranches or creeks to hike. No real difficult drops. Just follow the boat in front of you! There is a mandatory log jump at the entrance of the green canyon. If you don't jump not only will you miss the best drop of the trip. Bad karma will follow you down the river.

https://youtu.be/cW47iBlXniw
Old 07-13-2015   #10

Bazzaro, Free
how long does it take you with the 5 hp and 3 boats for snake lake?

5 hours of water time from eagle to hammer. But there are a number of places that you can fire up and make time. IE just below demon. Everything under snowhole.

like Walmart on black Friday... yuck!

Yep! sorry..

sounds like i should try for the 4 day and be sure to have a camp earlier in the day.

IDK. People are usually friendly. most of us know that we will be sharing camps. There are tons of small beaches so if you are not picky and only need a small beach? I once put in at hammer at 3500 cfs and got to white house. The next day I floated to heller and got in at dark.