Looking to buy my first raft - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-17-2012   #1

Nathrop, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Looking to buy my first raft

Looking to buy my first boat/raft any suggestions??

We have a place in Nathrop Co so planing on spending some time on the river but more than a little confused.....been reading about diminished tubes, oversized tubes,extra rockers, pcv, Hypalon,Urethane Bottom Chafers,elliptical shape, round shape,longer waterlines ....and the specs go on and on?

This is what I want: A raft that I wont out grow in a year or two, one that can handle 6 adults on a weekend trip, Self-Bailing Floor and my best bang for my buck I would rather drive a Chevy than a Cadillac!

Uhfch62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012   #2

Walla Walla, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhfch62 View Post
Looking to buy my first boat/raft any suggestions??

We have a place in Nathrop Co so planing on spending some time on the river but more than a little confused.....been reading about diminished tubes, oversized tubes,extra rockers, pcv, Hypalon,Urethane Bottom Chafers,elliptical shape, round shape,longer waterlines ....and the specs go on and on?

This is what I want: A raft that I wont out grow in a year or two, one that can handle 6 adults on a weekend trip, Self-Bailing Floor and my best bang for my buck I would rather drive a Chevy than a Cadillac!
6 adults on an overnight trip....your buying two boats.
Old 04-17-2012   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Or a 20' boat that you wont be able to row on. Unless you are talking car camping somewhere with day floats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012   #4

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
If your in nathrop you will probably be paddling on the Ark I'm assuming so get a 13 to 14 ft paddle boat set up and have some fun with your 6 friends. Overnight and multi day rafting is another beast all together and you will either have to shed some friends or get a bigger boat that will not be optimal on the Ark. Check the swap and the outfitters around there to buy a used commercial boat for cheap its a great way to get into the sport and if you want to do overnights/multiday stuff you can support 2 to 3 people depending on trip length.
ccombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012   #5

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I've done overnighters with 5 adults and one huge dog out of my 14' raft - three sit in front, the rower, then 2 in duckys with all our gear in the back and under the rower. It works but you have to buck up and put some people in IK's.
Old 04-17-2012   #6

Nathrop, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
So your saying 1800-1900# is too much weight for a 16' footer ? my god how much gear do you take?
Uhfch62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012   #7

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhfch62
So your saying 1800-1900# is too much weight for a 16' footer ? my god how much gear do you take?
Weekend trip for 5 is 120qt cooler plus dry food. If you drink thats another smaller cooler for beer. Three tents, 6 sleeping bags, thermarests, 6 chairs, toilet, kichen setup, stove , water, clothing, shovel firepan etc. plus then you need a place for them all to fit

Unless you are into minimalist camping you probably need two boats. I took 5 total on my 18' cat down the Rogue but that was also two duckys so yest it can be done with a 16' boat just not optimal. I wouldnt want to have to row it through anything overly technical
Old 04-18-2012   #8

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1986
A 16 foot raft can easily do what you want. Just make sure to get a multi compartment frame with at least 4 bays, so you have lots of places to put stuff. I recommend sitting on your cooler and not a tractor seat as that setup uses space much more effectively.

It is true that you need nearly as much stuff for an overnight trip as a week trip, so you will want to pack light for 6 adults.
mukunig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012   #9

Salida, Colorado
You wont be happy paddling a 16' on the Ark but you will get good at unwrapping a raft
Old 04-18-2012   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
16' is great for day trips for 6 adults.
14' is tight with an oar frame.
14' is great for 6 adults paddling.

I don't know your local river, so if 16' is too big, cross it off your list.

As said, 14' will work OK for everyone's gear but not 6 people + gear. Plan to borrow/rent a 2nd boat or a couple of duckies for the overnight weekends.

Are all 6 of you buying this boat together?
If not, buy what's best for you and your SO. Bring your friends on day trips. If they love rafting, they can figure out how to get their own setup.

I love rafting and taking non-kayaking friends for daytrips on my favorite rivers. I draw the line at overnighters--I'm a boater, not an outfitter. It's enough work to keep the gear assembled and keep my wife and 2 daughters happy!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote