Looking for suggestions - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-14-2018   #1

Looking for suggestions

New to Colorado and looking for suggestions on 2-3 day floats in CO or NM for the last week of January. Class III desirable but can deal with sporadic class IV. Won’t mind Class II if the float is scenic. The vessel will be an Aire Super Puma.

gatogarto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2018   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
He Gatogarto,
That might be a tough one.
I do as much winter time boating as I can, that could be tough one, at least in Co.
The best chance I can think of is Gates of Lodore, they release water from the dam year round for Hydro Electric, so it could be open with good flows.
The Daily section down in Utah, on the COlorado river, is another possibility that may be open, depending on weather. Shoshone along I-70 near Glenwood could be open, but only a day trip. Some years Bighorn Sheep Canyon is runnable on the Arkansas in January, but has a highway next to it. Reports have made it sound like it could be iced up this time of year, can be road scouted for ice. If you can drive that far, the Black Canyon on the Colorado river, down in Nevada below Hoover dam, is known to be very nice in January, and I believe has a hot spring, so could be premium. Requires a motor boat ride up river towards the dam to access the run, at least that is my understanding.

So I'm not sure of your particular experience level, but you should be very experienced before doing any winter time boating in Co or near by states this time of year, and have a dry suite, plus gear like a Hypothermia kit, with sleeping bag, Vapor barrier, heat packs, stove, hot quick energy beverages in case of a swim, ready to treat Hypothermia QUICK. Also keep in mind that Ice shelves can drown someone if they swim and get swept under them. Side canyons can release ice if the weather warms, and block the river completely. Basically, be very prepared, research the conditions ahead of time, be careful and stay safe out there!!

I really enjoy winter time runs, and they have been some of the Highlights of my boating career! But treat them like an expedition trip, and realize a mistake could potentialy kill you.

Have fun if you go!
Old 01-14-2018   #3

Thanks for the info Mattman,

I’ll check the weather and flow at the Gates of Lo dore.

I drove along the Arkansas yesterday from Parkdale to Numbers but the level seemed extremely low for a raft.

The Black Canyon of the Colorado would be nice but it is all flat water and I don’t know how fun would it be to row a raft on that section.

Thanks about the hypothermia tips, I’ll make sure to consider each and everyone of them.
gatogarto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2018   #4

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Jan Rafting is Dangerous, Go West

Col or Utah Jan Rafting can kill you. Go West to CA or OR and as said above....be prepared. There be no one there to help you in an accident.
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Not a lot of options this time of year, but there have been reports of people floating both Ruby/Horsethief and Westwater and that they are clear.

Lower Gunnison from Escalante to Bridgeport/Whitewater has water at the moment. Good camping and hiking at Dominguez Canyon.

You could drive south to Sante Fe and boat White Rock Canyon on the Rio Grande. Biggest issue there is finding a shuttle. https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...-tr-45148.html

Otherwise I think your looking at the lower stretches of the Colorado and Green. As mentioned the Moab Daily is probably clear..... and that's about all I can come up with.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018   #6

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Just got back from the San Juan. We ran sand island to Mexican hat. No ice, flowing just over 700.
Brewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018   #7

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Can't say for sure, but I'm betting the green below flaming gorge sections a,b and c would be doable at decent flows. Damn cold at night I'm sure.
Old 01-15-2018   #8
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
For the truly die hard boater, that wants to get on some mid winter multi days, owning a hot tent is awesome! Mine was built by seek outside, and has a titanium wood stove that packs down very small. Been very happy with it.
Other options out there as well, some at lower prices. Some good past threads on this site about tents with wood stoves.

Cataract could be an option, not sure. Below Flaming Gorge will be very cold, as will Gates of Lodore.
Old 01-17-2018   #9

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Can someone advise on how to see whether Gates of Lodore (or Yampa) permits are available prior to the March 1 release of dates? I'm thinking there must be some way to see whether permits are there or not - but rec.gov just has X marking all of the dates from this point forward.
scottmengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I think you have to call or email the river office to reserve your low use season launch.....

"Permits for the High Use Season (second Monday of May to the second Friday of Sept) are awarded by lottery only, each winter, through the Monument River Office. Permits for the rest of year are issued through the Monument River Office as well.

To Contact the River Permit Office
Staff are available by phone to answer questions and assist with trip planning Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to Noon (Mountain Time), at (970) 374-2468. You may also contact us by email."
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote