Looking for "Plan B" rivers if Middle Fork Salmon is too high in mid-June - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 05-11-2017   #1

Looking for "Plan B" rivers if Middle Fork Salmon is too high in mid-June

A large group of (primarily) eastern US boaters are nervously watching the high flow forecast on Middle Fork Salmon and are wondering what's a close-by alternative trip if MF is uncomfortably high when we get there.

Most of the group is flying into Boise and several of us have already purchased plane tickets (non-refundable.) A large van with our boats & gear is meeting us in Boise as well as a few vehicles & boaters from Colorado.

We were planning to launch June 17 but the water supply forecast shows we could be looking at over 7 feet (!)

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/prob...boi&gage=midi1

When the Middle Fork is too high, what other multi-day river in the area is still runnable?

Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2017   #2

Indian Hills, Colorado
This doesn't help, but Middle Fork at high is pretty amazing...hug the inside of all corners and bring more extra oars than you think you'll need. Having a few solid kayakers with you would be a critical safety net.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017   #3

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
TM
I'm sorry but I can't help with any info other than you might look at the DRE (Down River Equip) link which shows an amazing amount of snowpack, temperature, and flow info for all western rivers. This link is for May 8. I think you have to go to their main site to refresh it for the current date. The link for the main snowpack basin, on the right side of the page contains info for the current snow level and how fast it's dropped over the past 7 days, plus the actual temp at the sensor site, which means a lot more than the NOAA station in Salmon.
https://downriverequip.com/wp-conten...y-8th-2017.pdf
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2017   #4

PS. Would you mind telling me how you found the MF Salmon Flows prediction page? I saw one for the Yampa a couple of days ago and spent a,couple of hours w/o any luck trying to find a way to navigate to the Paradise gauge reading for the Selway. The only links I found were must lease detailed and more short term.

Thx

Jon
Old 05-11-2017   #5

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Not sure if you would want a high water lower salmon, but can pull off multi days on that without a permit. If you are flying into Boise you will be right by the payette river sections, not sure about overnight, but lots of fun day sections around there. Maybe the Lochsa if you do not mind driving a bit further.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017   #6

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
PS. Would you mind telling me how you found the MF Salmon Flows prediction page?
National Weather Service Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service
Old 05-11-2017   #7

Thanks but that's the same link as above for the MFS, and I can find no way to navigate to either the Selway Paradise, or Deso Green River, to see the same type of Flow Predictions.
Old 05-11-2017   #8
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
Thanks but that's the same link as above for the MFS, and I can find no way to navigate to either the Selway Paradise, or Deso Green River, to see the same type of Flow Predictions.
Not quite a flow prediction but not sure you have seen this.

https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref...y_halfmelt.gif
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017   #9

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfreakus View Post
Not sure if you would want a high water lower salmon, but can pull off multi days on that without a permit. If you are flying into Boise you will be right by the payette river sections, not sure about overnight, but lots of fun day sections around there. Maybe the Lochsa if you do not mind driving a bit further.
If you are looking at a multi-day on Lower Salmon, I recommend youtubing Slide rapid at these flows before pulling the trigger on that trip. Plenty of day stretches and good camping on the Salmon around Riggins, Payette drainage, and the southwest Idaho desert rivers might still be flowing well. I'm betting the Bruneau will still be going but you are going to have to figure out a shuttle for that one.
Conundrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I recommend giving your permit to me, I will be happy to run it and then let you know how it was so you can more accurately judge next time. Thanks
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote