Looking for input on a cheap IK - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-09-2017   #1

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Looking for input on a cheap IK

I've been looking for an IK as a 2nd craft for day trips and overnighters. Mostly Oregon rafting trips (Deschutes, Rogue, Umpqua) with an occasional Idaho bigger trip. This will mostly be for people to jump in and out of to mix up the riders in the rafts as well as my kids learning/me doing an IK overnighter. I am looking at either the Outlaw, Tomcat or Strike. I've paddled the Strike on the Deschutes and MFS and it was great. It did fine in the waves and seemed to do a fair job of tracking in the flatter water. I have never paddled either of the other two. I would most likely get the double so I could carry gear on an overnighter without rafts.
Anyone paddled all of them? Info on comfort? Stability? Extras like thigh straps, seats? It is going to be one of these 3, any information would be great.

Voodoo003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2017   #2

Pueblo, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I would say the strike is gonna be the best of the three but also with a higher price tage. I have paddled lots of tomcats and they're tough to beat at the price. I just picked up a tandem tomcat for 550 so you can find great deals on them.
Swervejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017   #3

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
re IKs

Agree with the above. I had a strike for several years, got it really cheap from Backcountry. I loved that boat. Sold it to get a new Mamba[hardshell] and still have some regrets about that.

If you are willing to spend the extra, go for it. I also own a Tomcat now but would recommend the strike over that. Not that there is anything wrong with the TC but the strike retained its air pressures much better and I thought it was a little lighter to haul around. Don't have any experience with the Outlaw. I like the fact that it has a dropstitch floor but it apparently has draining issues, unless the newer models have had this fixed.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2017   #4

Chandler, Arizona
Paddling Since: '92
I have an outlaw and it's great, if you are ok with sitting in inches of water. I typically run overnight trips and Full disclosure I'm also 6,2 225. My ass is wet 100% of the time. You can load gear for days by running loop straps though the floor and a pair of thigh pads makes it feel like a jet fighter. I know I pushed the load limits to the max and for that reason I am looking for a new boat. I could also run the outlaw with no gear and still have a wet ass. Liking the aire outfitter 1, but have no experience with the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I have owned an outlaw and now currently own a trib. The outlaw was built well but drained painfully slow, it wasn't much fun sitting in a puddle of water especially during early season. My outlaw was from 2014 so I don't think the newer ones fixed the issue. The guy I sold it to has now nicknamed it the bathtub. lol.
xXTheTickXx is offline   Reply With Quote