Looking for a 1/2 day float in Moab - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-02-2017   #1

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Looking for a 1/2 day float in Moab

I'm heading to Moab this weekend to do some mountain biking and I cannot resist bringing a boat. I'm looking for a 1/2 day scenic float. I am comfortable paddling anything but will have a boat full of dogs and people so I would probably like to stay <III. I was looking at putting in at Hittle Bottom and taking out at the ramp just above Big Bend campground but i'm not familiar with this stretch of the Colorado and how fast/slow it moves this time of year.

Can anyone recommend a lazy 3-5 hour scenic float somewhere around the Moab area? Or tell me if this is a good stretch to relax and enjoy some scenery?

Thanks in advance

skibumandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2017   #2

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
that's a great stretch...at these flows, 6570 as of today, would be pretty nice...
https://www.riverbrain.com/run/show/...Take+Out+Beach

if you are looking for even lazier, then Dewey Bridge to Hittle Bottom is a great choice...IIRC it is class I and super mellow.
T.O.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
It's been years since I ws over there but remember there being multiple river access points along the "Daily" stretch and being able to do trips of varying length pretty easily.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2017   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Put in at Onion Creek and take out at Takeout Beach. If you launch towards lunch you can pull over below Onion Creek rapid and have lunch. It is one of the best beaches/campgrounds on any river I have ever seen.

There are 5 Rapids between Onion Creek and Takeout. Onion Creek rapid is a mile below the onion creek launch. Then there is Professor Creek, New Rapid, Rocky Rapid, and Castle Creek (a/k/a White's) Rapid. There are some riffles below Castle Creek that may be Calls II-.

Fun to trip with dogs and kids.
twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017   #5

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Everything is accurate in the above post, except that Onion Creek rapid is about 100 yards below Onion Creek put in not 1 mile. The only rapid that would ever be considered class III is Whites, and not at this flow. Depending on time of day I can almost guarantee the excellent beaches right below Onion will be taken - they are legitimately top 10 on the entire CO river including the GC. Plenty of other spots to eat lunch though.

Sandy beach is also a takeout option if you don't want to do an additional mile and a half of flat water. The disadvantage is there is not a ramp so you would need to carry your boat up a low grade hill.
cschmidt1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017   #6

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 91'
If I only have half of a day I don't float!
rubtheduck is offline   Reply With Quote