Lodore Canyon - Low Water beta? Drinking water? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 08-30-2015   #1

Jenks, Oklahoma
Lodore Canyon - Low Water beta? Drinking water?

On a Lodore run, launch date 8 September.

Any feedback on the low water run as far as issues on rapids, is water available at the Putin and Echo Canyon?

Appreciate any feedback.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2015   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
On a Lodore run, launch date 8 September.

Any feedback on the low water run as far as issues on rapids, is water available at the Putin and Echo Canyon?

Appreciate any feedback.
We've done a late summer Ladore trip for many years, as low as 8-900 with rafts up to 16'. Some of the rapids get a bit technical but no real problems (unless you wrap Lucifer in Hell's Half Mile We're putting on 9/9 and according to the BuRec website, should expect 1700 average through the end of September - a fairly user-friendly level. I haven't checked with the river office this year, but we've always had water at Ladore and Echo.
Infidien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015   #3

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
If I was not going to be in Alaska I would beg you for an invite. Ran it after Smith this June and it was great (not my permit), just toooooo many bugs. You will not have that problem. I have run it as low as 850 with no problems. If you are going in your Jacks Cat, piece of cake.
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2015   #4

Jenks, Oklahoma
Thanks guys for the info.

Bighorn you are always welcome, but Alaska has to be more of an adventure than Lodore!!! Plus a person can only run Dino once per season if I read the rule book correctly.

Every one, have a safe and fun trip.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015   #5
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
After labor day it's low season and you can run it again after high season run.

Low water Lodore is really no big deal, just got to stay on your sticks and avoid the sleepers. If you never done low water Lodore, scout Upper Disaster to see which shoot to hit. Triplet becomes no issue at this level, just pull left of the big rock on the right. Hell's Half mile is definitely worth a scout, low water usually means a left run off Lucifer. Other than that just watch for thousands of rocks to avoid

I have different videos on my Youtube channels of Lodore runs which might help you get an idea.

Best of luck!
Old 08-31-2015   #6

SD, California
Paddling Since: 2003
I just got off a Lodore trip. Insects were minimal except for some sand fleas at the put in and yellow jackets at the first two camps. The yellow jackets were very pesty and immune to our orange juice traps. They all wanted bacon instead. The cook teams needed a team of swatters for backup.

Water was available at both locations.
toptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015   #7

Flagstaff, Arizona
What TopTop said. We took out last Friday at the Split Mountain Ramp. Water was on at the put-in, Echo and Rainbow Parks.

Flow was 1,700 cfs with some up and down. I ran my 16ft bucket boat Achilles and put a 1/2 inch hole in the floor in lower Hell's Half Mile. I saw no clear line through there. The self bailers with us all did just fine. Would not take the Achillies bucket on any less flows. IK and 10 ft cat did fine. The water was wonderfully swimable.

Yes, the yellowjackets were bad at the normal camps, but if we stopped to eat lunch at out of the way and unused beaches, there was little trouble. We had no trouble with mosquitoes.

Hope this helps, yours, tom
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015   #8

SD, California
Paddling Since: 2003
I was there the week prior, Tom. Same flows. When I got to Hells there were two dozen boats waiting to get through. There was a boat wrapped pretty good on a rock at the bottom. It took all of us 4 hours to get him off and then I watched two more boats get stuck on the same rock immediately after. All of these folks were trying to go right when they got stuck.

Then I watched as the entire beach unloaded. I saw half the boats make the move right and half go left. There's a route both ways. Use your momentum to carry over to the right but don't hit any shallow rocks or you'll lose it. Or you can drive yourself left, aiming at lucifer, glance off of it and continue left.

At lower flows there's different stories. Check this thread.
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/lodore-148.html
toptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015   #9

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I've run Lodore numerous times at +/-850 CFS. Boney for sure, but very fun still! Go left of Lucifer to avoid Huggy Bear which is below and river right. Bring a fly rod and get a Utah fishinhg license--the river itself should be good and the creek at Jones Hole is great!
boatbjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015   #10
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I am intrigued by this "huggy bear". It's said "nobody touches huggy bear" sounds like a sticky hole or a tractor beam rock?