Lodore at high water? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-11-2015   #1
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Lodore at high water?

I am curious to hear from those who were lucky enough to run Lodore at 8k+ level. What to expect? What to look for? How do rapids change? What should I scout? How is Splitmtn?

The highest I've done Lodore was 4.5k, lowest was 850cfs. I do have experience, but would love to hear the stories of the high water.

Thanks guys!

Alex

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2015   #2

aurora, Colorado
Ran split mountain at 22k. Came in from yampa side. Scout Moonshine, Read and run on the rest, was big water, but straightforward. Probably couldn't have stopped to scout most rapids. pushy pushy, stay off the walls, square up and go.
sea hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015   #3

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Coming from a kayaker's perspective and will check my notes.

We had it at 8+ and I remember it being awesome. Upper/Lower Disaster were bigger but manageable. Think we only scouted Hell's Half Mile and Triplet. Still the same line for the rafts that I remember. Almost floated past Echo Mtn as it was underwater. Mostly big wave trains and a lot of fun. Split Mtn was I think around 19,000 maybe more and we hit it in the afternoon with wind. Nothing whitewater sticks out in my mind through there only the wind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01209 (Medium).JPG
Views:	309
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	9845   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01136 (Medium).JPG
Views:	352
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	9846  

kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2015   #4
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Wow dude, looks nasty.

Two years ago we experienced similar winds on the flat section of Lodore before Upper/Lower, just the 1 mile stretch took us around 3 hours to push through. We ended up dragging some of the boats along the shore.
Old 05-14-2015   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
Wow dude, looks nasty.

Two years ago we experienced similar winds on the flat section of Lodore before Upper/Lower, just the 1 mile stretch took us around 3 hours to push through. We ended up dragging some of the boats along the shore.
Island Park is always a bear. All you can do it hope for high water and hit it as early in the day as possible.

I've done Split a ton at high water. There's a giant standing wave at the top of Moonshine and SOB softens up a lot; stay off the wall. Haven't seen Lodore at 8k but I will in a couple days! See ya there!!!
lodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #6

Tent City, Liquid State
Paddling Since: 1990
We did it at 9.5k in 2011? I only really remember Hell's half being super pushy- got bounced down the left channel towards the end of the run and pin balled through. Triplet (near flip) and Upper/Lower were big but doable. Split was at 35k+. It wasn't too bad. Wave trains mostly and some flippy laterals. Had a flip on whiskey rock (which was a HUGE hole) by a sleeping captain- plenty of room either side to miss it.
Maxident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #7

Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
I've done Lodore at around 13k with the Yampa putting in another 12K. Really easy to make miles in Lodore. I remember Triplet being pretty big and Hells Half was big, but Split was certainly Grand Canyon scale at around 25,000. Moonshine very big (scout it) and the rest super fast, big and hard to regulate boat spacing.
dgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #8

Golden, Colorado
I kayaked it last year when it was at a constant 9k for a week or so. Hell's Half was huge from my perspective, was tons of fun! Triplet had a fun line where the birth canal is, I got friendly with the hole... But didn't get surfed. Upper and Lower disaster I don't remember much of, but one of the rafts had a swimmer.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
BetterNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #9

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
The above is pretty spot on ran Lodore at 4.5k triplet will push right the rest is easier than 800, then got to Split and had 22k. Scout Moonshine if you want to the hole is big saw an 18 footer flip there the rest is pushy SOB comes to mind the flow in those lower rapids wants to push at the left wall pretty good. The last rapid was an easy left run with a big pourover river center.
Old 05-14-2015   #10
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
sorry kazak I don't think you understand what is high water. 11k is not high water. that might be the max this year.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote