Little Salmon - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Boise, Idaho
Little Salmon

We were up for the Riggins Rodeo last year and ran a small section of the Little Salmon. We just ran the section from the rest stop down to Riggins. We had a blast. I would consider it continuous class III rapids at the time.

Does anyone know how far up you can put in with a raft? We will most likely be in our Super Puma again. I know there's some waterfalls way up high, but how far can you go up without getting in too much trouble? Any problematic sections to worry about?

We will be up for the rodeo again this year and would appreciate any info.
Thanks in advance.

Bwick84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
There is a decent falls here
45.204899, -116.311926

It has a name but I can't remember it. Below there is mostly good to go from what I understand.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I don't speak GPS but that sounds like Amphitheater Falls which is an awesome feature to look at.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Boise, Idaho
Thanks for the coordinates. I'm pretty sure that's the first falls I saw from the road when I drove by a couple weeks ago.

Does anyone know of a good spot to put in?
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Cd'A, Idaho
Try up near the Hazard Creek confluence. I know there are some pullouts up around there with places clear enough to launch a paddle raft.
Most of the character is downstream of the rest stop though. Above that, there are some very crazy braided cobble areas that change every year.
Elvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Those coordinates are Ampitheater which is the biggest rapid other than the drops. It’s below Hazard. You can put in pretty much anywhere below the top big drops. Depending on flow you’ll in fairly continuous 3-4.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Boise, Idaho
So is Amphitheater runnable? It looks like the Hazard Creek confluence is up above that.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
I can’t answer if you should run it but people do run it. Worth taking a look at it and if you don’t like what you see, put in below it. You can see it from the road.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9

Smokey Boulder to first bridge has ~6 cl 5ish drops to the first bridge. First three are easy to scout from the road and the biggest. Below the bridge to Hazard confluence is not worth floating due to blowouts/ braids/ logs.

Small rafts can put on at the Hazard/ Hard Ck confluence if you want a little creeky fun. From Hazard down to the rest stop is cl 3-4. This section has some big waves and holes at high water but watch out at near peak flows, I've had my frame hit under one of the low bridges in this section (fast approach/ no eddies).

From the rest stop to town is mostly 2-3.

In general, due to the character, more water is better.
idaho_h2o is offline   Reply With Quote