Learning to Oar - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-21-2013   #1

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Learning to Oar

Greetings. New to the site and wanted to get some information about oaring the upper C this weekend. I've owned rafts since 1987 and have paddled numerous rivers throughout Colorado, but I finally broke down and bought a frame and oar set-up for a 14' raft that I own. I have been on numerous trips where friends, etc., have oared, but I have never undertaken the task myself. I'm curious if those that know better than me feel that the upper CO at these low flows is a good place to learn how to oar. I'm looking at Pumphouse to Rancho on Saturday.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
-Murky Depths

Murky Depths is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013   #2

Edwards, Colorado
I am in a similar situation to you. I have kayaked for a few years and been rafting with a bunch of friends on their boats, but this year I got my first raft-frame-oar rig. The upper C from pumphouse to rancho is the exact run I did for my first trip in my boat. I think it was just a little under 500 cfs when I did it, which makes the hardest rapids pretty calm. The big hole in eye of the needle at higher flows is a big rock that is easy to avoid at these levels. It is bony though, so its good practice to spot rocks just under the surface and try to avoid them. Have fun and good luck... what a great sport to get into!
webstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #3

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by webstar View Post
I am in a similar situation to you. I have kayaked for a few years and been rafting with a bunch of friends on their boats, but this year I got my first raft-frame-oar rig.!

Aren't most rafters:
a) people are afraid to kayak whitewater or b) kayakers who have kids?

I never set foot in a raft until the day I bought my first one. Luckily, I had spent quite a bit of time playing in my grandfather's rowboat, so I at least had an idea of how to run oars on a small boat. Lots of learning-by-making-mistakes.

I bought this book several years later. It covers a lot of good stuff for the new oar boater:
http://www.mountaingear.com/webstore...FQ9eQgodFX8AnQ

Go for it. Take a good friend who may have had some time on the same stretch in a raft. Don't take family or novices until you've got your technique a bit more dialed in.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013   #4
El Chupanibre

ERIE, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I learned by following Canyon Man down Browns. I did everything exactly the way he did. My advice is to follow a good man on the oars and do exactly as he does.
OldandBitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #5

Edwards, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar008609 View Post
My advice is to follow a good man on the oars and do exactly as he does.
seconded. I did this in my friends' boats when they let me and it certainly helped.

MT4Runner, a combination of the desire for comfort and the ability to get my wife and friends who dont kayak out on the river is what drove the switch. Still kayak short day trips, but beyond that I'm loving the raft!
webstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #6
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar008609 View Post
I learned by following Canyon Man down Browns. I did everything exactly the way he did. My advice is to follow a good man on the oars and do exactly as he does.
Great advice, I may add is to be humble and listen to everyone's advice and why they do thing. Ask questions about currents, why they pulled and not pushed and any other "stupid" questions. That's how we learn.

I love following old timers down sketchy sections, always fascinates me seeing old dudes out row young dudes.

Some of great examples are Gary Nichols in his canoe and Gary Scovill in his 20 years 18 footer.
Old 06-21-2013   #7

Sandy, Utah
I started running whitewater in a 10 ft. Outcast fishing cat. I had friends who took me down Alpine Canyon in that little boat. After running Kahuna & Lunch Counter right side up I was hooked. After that I joined a local whitewater rafting club and learned the ropes.
I also read the book that MT4Runner references above.
Oh....and I've never kayaked. No desire to be upside down in a river. Rafting suits me just fine.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #8

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
First things first...you want to learn how to ROW. Not oar. The oar is your tool for rowing

And yeah,Pumphouse would be ideal training grounds. Keep an eye on that downstream oar when you're in shallow,rocky water. Those things can knock teeth out
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #9

Kalispell, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by webstar View Post
seconded. I did this in my friends' boats when they let me and it certainly helped.

MT4Runner, a combination of the desire for comfort and the ability to get my wife and friends who dont kayak out on the river is what drove the switch. Still kayak short day trips, but beyond that I'm loving the raft!
I don't disagree, and I'm not a kayak snob. Just an attempt at humor. I have a 156R Aire, a 13.0 Trib, and just added a 14' cat and a Tomcat solo.

Believe me, I LOVE the fact that I've gotten my wife, my kids, my parents, and my in-laws out on the rivers I love. There's only the slimmest of chances my girls might kayak with me. The rest, never.

I started in a 16' Maravia on some smaller rivers. It didn't give me a ton of action, but it was VERY forgiving of my newbie mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
Great advice, I may add is to be humble and listen to everyone's advice and why they do thing. Ask questions about currents, why they pulled and not pushed and any other "stupid" questions. That's how we learn.
It is a blast riding in someone else's boat--paddle or oar. Some will pull and some will push the same spot. Some people ferry a lot, some charge hard, a lot of people mix but in different ways.

I'd rather have fellow rowers than silent passengers, so the opportunity to train a new rower is always welcomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
I love following old timers down sketchy sections, always fascinates me seeing old dudes out row young dudes.
They're not usually tougher, but they are usually smarter. Same goes for several great women boaters I've met.

Rowing is like towing a heavy trailer in busy traffic. Plan ahead, look around, start your moves sooner than later. Don't plan on fast acceleration or sudden braking.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #10

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
I put my boat in a pond and made sure the boat was set up right. Take her to a lake and catch some fish while trolling. Getting your muscle memory built up with no current is good practice and will get you a good power stroke when you need it. 45* is a good ferry angle. After that off to the upper c and then to browns. Following seasoned boatmen will help a lot after you get your stroke dialed in.

And yes we row our oars not oar our oars. Have fun and keep the hairy side up.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote