Late March Multi Day Rafting Trip? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-28-2007   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Late March Multi Day Rafting Trip?

Any recommendations for a multi day rafting trip March 22nd to the 30th? I'm looking for a 4 day or 5 day trip and worried most rivers will be running too low that time of year. Also, nothing technical, looking more for a float trip class II. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

chriswalter8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2007   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
You could float from Cicso Landing (Westwater takeout) to Moab which will have some Class II rapids at the end, or float from Green River UT to Mineral Bottom which will be Class I all the way. Either of these reaches should have plenty of water for rafting.

Another option would be the San Juan but you'll need to get a permit.

Have a good trip!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Andy nailed it.

If there is water in the Rio Grande through Big Bend that would be another option, but there probably won't be. You could also float the lower reaches of the Grand Canyon from Diamond Creek to Lake Mead - there will definitely be water there, and probably good weather as well.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2007   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
The Green River through Flaming Gorge:

Just beautiful, and it flows year round. The water is freaking cold, though.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007   #5
Rubber Pusher

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Head to the San Juan. If you do the section from Mexican Hat to Clay Hills, it can be done in 4 days, but 5 allows for a little hiking and some extra play time. It's gorgeous. Despite being class 2 and only 2 rapids at that, it's an amazing trip. Definitely up there on my top 3 list. You should check now for the permit situation. I don't know it off the top of my head, but I think application is open now or will be soon.
E
ecjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecjohnson View Post
Head to the San Juan. If you do the section from Mexican Hat to Clay Hills, it can be done in 4 days, but 5 allows for a little hiking and some extra play time. It's gorgeous. Despite being class 2 and only 2 rapids at that, it's an amazing trip. Definitely up there on my top 3 list. You should check now for the permit situation. I don't know it off the top of my head, but I think application is open now or will be soon.
E
You have to call the BLM in Monticello and request a permit application (435) 587-1544. They send it out to you and you have to mail it back by Feb 1st, and notify lottery winners by March 1st. You can apply for cancellations starting 3/1.

I agree- the San Juan is a all-time favorite of mine and a classic. I suggested the Green below Flaming Gorge because it doesn't require a lottery permit, it has easy access points, easy camping and it's really gorgeous. You can make it a day stretch, or tack on Red and Swallow Canyons and stretch it to 4 days easily without too brutal a shuttle. And there's phenomenal fishing too; but that does make it busier. The very top section is the one that gets the most traffic, but I doubt there's too many issues with crowds that time of year....
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007   #7

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
Deso/Gray

You could also look at Desolation and Gray Canyons. There are one or two rapids that are considered class III but the water won't be too high and there are easily class I or II lines in them. It's typically done in a week or so but you could easily do it in 4 or 5 days.
Enjoy!
MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting