Labor Day Truck Stolen from Loma - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-11-2015   #1

Denver, Colorado
Labor Day Truck Stolen from Loma

Hi-

So, quite an interesting situation happened this past weekend. We were doing a Loma to Cisco float and paid RimRock to run our shuttle. On the second day of Loma, the Ranger came down and told me that my truck was gone from the put in (per RimRock). Later that day, after being taken off the river to see for myself and call the police, my truck was back and parked in a different spot. On Tuesday this week, I was told that another shuttle driver had seen my truck on the interstate in Utah headed back eastbound. It sounds like someone took the liberty to steal my truck to run a shuttle. No note was left and there was a 1/4 tank of gas missing. If anyone has any information on this situation, please PM me. I am all about helping a fellow rafter out, but running that long shuttle across state lines and not leaving a note is completely wrong. It ruined an entire day of my trip and as the TL on the trip, I had to leave my crew in other hands.

Thanks,

Lane

Browndog08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2015   #2

Here's your man....

Your telling me someone stole your truck just to run a shuttle and then returned it?

Ok, I got your main suspect right here.....

Seriously, Randy Marsh has the biggest balls I've ever seen. Big enough to do something this blatantly stupid. I'd be amazed if it wasn't him.

Good luck figuring that mess out.

BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015   #3

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Does your vehicle have a key pad entry, or is it safe to assume you hid your keys for RimRock somewhere on the vehicle?
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2015   #4

DGO, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
Well you don't sound like a idiot so I'm gonna assume that you did not leave your keys in the ignition, on the dash or in plain sight..... so that means it must have been an inside job.

I highly doubt any other boater would start digging through cars at a put in until they found keys and then to use that car/truck to run their shuttle.... My money is that someone you know saw your truck, knew where to find the hidden keys and borrowed your truck.....

Or someone at the shuttle company borrowed it.

.....but if that is not the case.... my money is on Grif....
Old 09-11-2015   #5

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Isn't it common knowledge that if you need a car near a river just open the gas cap???

That's happened to us here in MT. Missing car was found at the next take out up river.

I know longer do the gas cap to gas cap thing....

It's a bummer you didn't at least get a note and some cash. Damn shuttle thiefs.
Old 09-11-2015   #6

Sylva, Western North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1981
The perpetrator should have replaced the gas or left a case of (good) beer for your troubles.

We had a bus breakdown on the Middle Fork last year and the outfitter borrowed another outfitters van at the takeout, but they weren't due back for a few days.

I'm betting you know this person. Good luck solving the mystery.
Old 09-11-2015   #7
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
This post confuses me. At first I wondered what a "Labor Day Truck" was and then to find out it wasn't stolen, but borrowed......

Not to make light of your troubles. At least it came back. Sucks it ruined part of the rio for you.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015   #8

Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
ahhh, the good ole loaner shuttle vehicle trick. I have heard of kayakers doing that trick before. At least they didn't leave weird passive aggressive notes about no snacks or how the shuttle should have been left earlier so they could have gotten home sooner.
In defensive of kayakers , I had a rafter promise me a 12 pack last weekend for a shuttle, still waiting.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015   #9
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
If the keys are in the gas tank, its free game to be borrowed for a shuttle. Thats age old kayaker language for "go ahead and use my rig to shuttle yours bro". We are clearly looking for one of the recent kayaker converts.

In all seriousness, that sucks but could have been so much worse.

Did rimrock shuttle your rig at least?
Old 09-11-2015   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
If the keys are in the gas tank, its free game to be borrowed for a shuttle. Thats age old kayaker language for "go ahead and use my rig to shuttle yours bro". We are clearly looking for one of the recent kayaker converts.

In all seriousness, that sucks but could have been so much worse.

Did rimrock shuttle your rig at least?
Somebody uses my truck for their shuttle, they damn well better hope that I'm not there to discover them in process, keys left or not. Enough said.
leo_amore is offline   Reply With Quote