Kings River Banzai run info? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-07-2018   #1

Apache Junction, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2008
Kings River Banzai run info?

Planning on being on a family trip 4th of July week in the Sequia National forest. Wanted to hit up this run. Its hard to find historical data. I was able to find info for last year and it was at 9k. That was a much better snow year and this is a bad year. So what can I expect for flow, those familiar please sound off.

Jdsampsonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2018   #2

Northern California, California
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsampsonite View Post
Planning on being on a family trip 4th of July week in the Sequia National forest. Wanted to hit up this run. Its hard to find historical data. I was able to find info for last year and it was at 9k. That was a much better snow year and this is a bad year. So what can I expect for flow, those familiar please sound off.
It's a Class II-III day trip, mostly class II. It would be a good family float. There are hardly any obstacles in the river, maybe one rapid with a few boulders/holes to avoid depending on the water levels. It is beautiful. But it's also a long ways from anywhere. I'm not sure where you're going to be in the forest, but I don't know if it's all that close, unless you're at one of the campsites along the river and the road leading up from Pine Flat reservoir. I believe there are 2 or 3, one is at the take-out and super convenient. Kirch Flat, I think?

The Kings is the largest drainage in the Sierra, it will be low in July, but it will probably still be running. Probably somewhere around 1000 CFS would be my guess. The Southern Sierra has done better this winter with SWE, usually it's the exact opposite. If you want a definite answer, call Zephyr Whitewater or Kings River Expeditions, and ask if they're booking trips through the Fourth of July. That will give you the best idea.
Quality.Boof.Move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018   #3

Apache Junction, Arizona
Thanks for the info. Not sure where we are camping but I figured I will take a day to drive over there. If I am going to be within a couple hours of a run I make it happen. I will have to call them and see what they say. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2018   #4

Arnold, California
Feel free to PM me for my contact info. Kayaking is doable to about 1k, rafts to about 1.5k. July 4 is a bit of a stretch but may be possible if we can push off some of the warmer days a bit.
Old 06-27-2018   #5

Cave Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
Kings hanging tough at 1400

I say we hit it; I can do July 2 or 3 maybe a day or two later as well. Please PM if interested.
AZ boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018   #6

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1979
I just checked Dreamflows and they're showing 1250cfs at Rogers Crossing. That's about the minimum I'll raft it at, but it was 1400 yesterday and 1450 the day before. If it's hotter the next couple of days you'll get a little more water. Then it'll be done for the year.
These will be the last few days of what I consider to be boatable (in a raft), but the outfitters will run it down to about 850, including ghost boating the bony rapid, except for a guide.
Dreamflows Report
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018   #7

Apache Junction, Arizona
Ended up hitting the run up on Monday last week with AZboater. Had a really good run. The water was really pretty on this stretch. Water flow was about 1100 and water was a great temperature. Not to cold not to hot. At these flows rooster tail was probably the biggest rapid. (Didn't run bonsai hole due to lower level and guides recommended not taking raft at these flows.) It was pretty vicious at those flows but we made it through ok. The second biggest was river rat rapid. American whitewater had it as a 2+ but it was bigger than the other 3+ they listed. We had 3 people in the 13' and were using the frame but we didn't get stuck on any rocks really. Had to weave through a few shallow spots. Great trip overall. If I am ever in the area I will do it again.