keeping stuff dry when you flip your raft. - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-03-2011   #1
 
Golden, Colorado
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,017
keeping stuff dry when you flip your raft.

So I got my first raft flip out of the way. Got flipped in Sock-it-to-me in Westwater. Didn't loose anything that was tied down, so I did a good job "rigging to flip" but when we got the raft back up, all the dry bags had leaked and my DRE drybox had about a half inch of water in it. This was after being upside down for about 15-20 minutes. I figure the "drybox" wouldn't stay totally dry being submerged but the drybags being wet surprised me. Was that just due to not being careful rolling them shut? Or is everything expected to get wet when you flip. They weren't soaked, just wet. Also do people store stuff in their drybox that can't get wet? Or am I wrong to think of them as dryboxes?

On the bright side I was pleasantly surprised how not terribly difficult it was to get a fully loaded raft back up with three guys on flip lines. Of course that was on the second day after the beer cooler had been annihilated the night before.

Lessons learned:
1. keep your weight more evenly distributed in the boat. (back end was way heavy)
2. keep your oars in the water instead of the air going through holes.
3. Don't freeze when you feel yourself getting surfed.
4. get flip lines and keep them attached.
5. get releasable oar tethers so you don't have to fumble with knots after a flip.
6. Go with a crew that can still get you into the first eddy even after annihilating the beer cooler the night before.

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-04-2011   #2
 
slamkal's Avatar
 
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,148
7. T-up so you don't hit a wave or a hole sideways. Its really rare to see a boat flip end over end.
8. High side when you can't T up or when a side of the boat dips into a hole.
9. Don't let your passengers pull the boat over on top of them when they are falling out of the boat.

Don't ever let anyone toss your drybags onto shore when unloading your boat. #1 cause of leaks. After trip is over take them to your friends pool and fill them up with water then identify (using pen) where the leaks are. then pvc patch from the inside.

When sealing a drybag be sure to push as much air out as possible compressing the bag before you do your roll. Make sure to do a tight roll as described (sealines are different than the other bags but they all have the same concept.)

I wouldn't expect a drybag to survive more than a few seconds completely submerged.

Never bring cotton on any river trip. If you have fleece it can still insulate if wet.
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #3
 
wildh2onriver's Avatar
 
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,311
or, you could buy quality dry bags---such as those made by Watershed. we had a boat on an Alaska river flip and pin under a huge sweeper for 2+ days. The only bags completely dry--Watershed. Everything else has was soaked and had a couple inches of sediment in it.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-04-2011   #4
 
Jenks, Oklahoma
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,812
Watershed and Jacks Plastic Welding - both have worked for me.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #5
 
Dave Frank's Avatar
 
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,827
Nice Bruno. Did it go straight over backwards, or more of a twisting flip?

I've always push forward and just right of the meat there, but all the guides I've watched pull back with a little left angle right through the center.

THe one time my boat flipped, (Rubber at 6') The dre box did take on a half gallon or more in the ten minutes it was upside-down.

All my dry bags stayed dry. They were mostly Seal lines with the good black bar at the top. I think if those are full and rolled right with no wrinkles, they stay dry, but any imperfection in the closure could fail.

Watersheds are the way to go if it really matters.
__________________
Dave

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #6
Dipshit with the most.
 
carvedog's Avatar
 
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
Don't ever let anyone toss your drybags onto shore when unloading your boat. #1 cause of leaks. After trip is over take them to your friends pool and fill them up with water then identify (using pen) where the leaks are. then pvc patch from the inside.

When sealing a drybag be sure to push as much air out as possible compressing the bag before you do your roll. Make sure to do a tight roll as described (sealines are different than the other bags but they all have the same concept.)

I wouldn't expect a drybag to survive more than a few seconds completely submerged.

Never bring cotton on any river trip. If you have fleece it can still insulate if wet.
Ok wait just a minute here.....

Never let anyone throw your drybag onto shore until you have made a nice cushion of kayaker drybags. Durrr....


I would not want to lift my dry bag full o water. How do you do this?

I have had good success poking my head up in mine with sharpie in hand in a bright room or outside. Pretty easy to see the breeches.

I definitely get most of the air out but I am actually looking for the feeling of air in the bag. Balloonish if you will, so I know I have a seal.

And I absolutely expect my drybags to stay dry for a couple of hours.

While I don't wear wet cotton except when hot, I can't wait until I can slip on some nice dry cotton at the end of a long wet day. So good.

Interesting story hear about a Watershed being grated on the cheese grater at Lava for a few hours. Well that's not what the story is about but look at the pics and you can see the bag with all straps ripped off and still dry.

Rafting the West | Links
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #7
 
slamkal's Avatar
 
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
Ok wait just a minute here.....

Never let anyone throw your drybag onto shore until you have made a nice cushion of kayaker drybags. Durrr....


I would not want to lift my dry bag full o water. How do you do this?

I have had good success poking my head up in mine with sharpie in hand in a bright room or outside. Pretty easy to see the breeches.

I definitely get most of the air out but I am actually looking for the feeling of air in the bag. Balloonish if you will, so I know I have a seal.

And I absolutely expect my drybags to stay dry for a couple of hours.

While I don't wear wet cotton except when hot, I can't wait until I can slip on some nice dry cotton at the end of a long wet day. So good.

Interesting story hear about a Watershed being grated on the cheese grater at Lava for a few hours. Well that's not what the story is about but look at the pics and you can see the bag with all straps ripped off and still dry.

Rafting the West | Links
40l ~= 10gal ~ 80lbs. And realistically all you need is half full, close the top and test the upper half upside down.

A larger (115) yeah stick your head in there but my head and shoulders won't fit into a smaller drybag.

And I was referring to the idiots who (besides their river gear) all they bring are t-shirts and jeans and then freeze if their drybag hasn't been tossed on the kayaker bags ...
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #8
Dipshit with the most.
 
carvedog's Avatar
 
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
40l ~= 10gal ~ 80lbs. And realistically all you need is half full, close the top and test the upper half upside down.
I thought about that later that you really only need a couple of gallons and that would be a great idear for my day bag as I don't fit into that one, not even my head.

I was mostly just flipping you shit, I hope you know.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #9
 
Andy H.'s Avatar
 
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,774
I remember down at Hecla once seeing a bunch of guides tossing their peeps' drybags onto the gravel and thinking "those are only going to be "kinda" drybags next time out."

-AH
__________________
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #10
 
Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 170
Part of rigging to flip is realizing that dry bags aren't always that dry. I get trash compactor bags and line all the stuff sacks that have the "must not get wet" things in them (clothing, sleeping bag, pillow). Squeeze the air out, twist the ends and tuck em in. Then put the lined stuff sacks in the dry bag.
funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
raft flip practice g.soutiere Whitewater Rafting 0 07-26-2011 10:56 AM
Yampa High Water Raft Flip johnnywetuber Whitewater Rafting 39 07-02-2011 12:00 PM
Looking for pic of raft flip mania Whitewater Rafting 8 01-04-2009 10:49 PM
Flip Raft Seat Bracket??? rsmiller Whitewater Rafting 19 05-02-2008 08:47 PM
Keeping electronics dry otr? gh Whitewater Kayaking 9 11-27-2005 09:18 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.