Kayakers are People Too... - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Day Ago   #1

Sturgis, South Dakota
Paddling Since: 2003
Kayakers are People Too...

Last article from a full summer of boating. A thank you to everybody who invites me on their trips and then lets me write about them...and also a thank you to everyone who reads these articles.

Eric

https://cascaderivergear.com/kayakers-are-people-too/

johnseri is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Day Ago   #2

Really enjoyed your write-up. Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for posting it.
HitMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Hours Ago   #3

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
As one of a few people who identity as both, thank you.
Beautifully written.

I was invited on an early season MF Salmon a few years back. Took my raft and another member of our party rowed it. It was interesting seeing how much crap kayakers were willing to load into a raft (my boat's oarsman was a champ!), and to hear the oarsman of our 2nd raft complain about how easy kayakers have it (yet he slept in most days and the kayakers did the majority of the cooking and dishes).
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5 Hours Ago   #4

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
As one of a few people who identity as both, thank you.
Beautifully written.

I was invited on an early season MF Salmon a few years back. Took my raft and another member of our party rowed it. It was interesting seeing how much crap kayakers were willing to load into a raft (my boat's oarsman was a champ!), and to hear the oarsman of our 2nd raft complain about how easy kayakers have it (yet he slept in most days and the kayakers did the majority of the cooking and dishes).

Interesting, that's in MY opinion the exception rather than the rule. I think back to when I used to run support boats for Kayakers, until one ill fated Salt trip where they had me SO loaded down I could barely maneuver the boat, at first camp one Kaykaker revealed he had brought not one, but 2 paco pads, and 2 full sized Jacks dry bags.

Another trip, we pulled into camp, and all but one kayaker was out playing in the surf hole while I and the other rafter unloaded the boats, set up the kitchen etc, he plopped his ass into the other rafters chair and asked, "When's Dinner", we ignored him when he asked "Where are you going to set up the groover, I need to use it". Before we could explode, another "Dual sport kayaker / boater" saw what was happening and told him he'd show him how to set up the groover so he could use it.. I quit running support boats shortly after that trip, and have never looked back.
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Hours Ago   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
Interesting, that's in MY opinion the exception rather than the rule. I think back to when I used to run support boats for Kayakers, until one ill fated Salt trip where they had me SO loaded down I could barely maneuver the boat, at first camp one Kaykaker revealed he had brought not one, but 2 paco pads, and 2 full sized Jacks dry bags.

Another trip, we pulled into camp, and all but one kayaker was out playing in the surf hole while I and the other rafter unloaded the boats, set up the kitchen etc, he plopped his ass into the other rafters chair and asked, "When's Dinner", we ignored him when he asked "Where are you going to set up the groover, I need to use it". Before we could explode, another "Dual sport kayaker / boater" saw what was happening and told him he'd show him how to set up the groover so he could use it.. I quit running support boats shortly after that trip, and have never looked back.
I don't disagree. Really depends on the crew.
The guys I was with fit everything into a single Watershed Colorado each, and a 2" paco each. All the rafters I know pack heavier than that. I just had to chuckle that they wanted to bring cast iron.

I don't know that I'd volunteer to be boat support for a kayaker crew I didn't know. Sounds like Eric had a good kayaker crew along.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Hours Ago   #6

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Great right up! Now I remember why I’m working my a off, playing catch up at work, and it seems worth it again!
Sitting on your boat in that eddy, makes everything seem worth it....

I, to, used to do both, well, I was a creature that at least resembled a kayaker, but the more specific genus was called “swimmer”.

I’ve boated with both kinds. From bumming cigarettes while boats are getting unloaded, and his gear is getting thrown off the raft, to “T.L.” taking over the 18’ gear boat in the eddy above Horn, for the new GC boaters that just hiked in at Phantom, (that was one heavy ass boat, he ran point with it to).

Just all kinds of people out there I guess, hey, maybe they really are people!!

Great job, keep righting, enjoy reading it man!
Old 4 Hours Ago   #7

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
I don't disagree. Really depends on the crew.
The guys I was with fit everything into a single Watershed Colorado each, and a 2" paco each. All the rafters I know pack heavier than that. I just had to chuckle that they wanted to bring cast iron.

I don't know that I'd volunteer to be boat support for a kayaker crew I didn't know. Sounds like Eric had a good kayaker crew along.

There was a day, back when I was young, dumb and strong where I'd do pretty much anything to get on any permitted river, and I tended to bring my entire collection of cast iron, 4 burner stove, pack the largest Jacks plastic bag I could find with everything conceivable that there was even the remotest chance I'd use.
Those days are lost and gone forever. Not nearly as strong and willing as I used to be, and have (thankfully) run most rivers that I want to run at least once. Now I pick and choose what I want to do.

I have a Watershed colorado bag, which contains my tent, sleeping bag, pillow and clothes, the last trip was a 28 day Grand in March. Yes, I had another tiny bag that contained fleece onsie, fleece coat and pants, and an emergency pair of dry wool socks. I have found over the years that I didn't use half of what I used to take, and didn't want the weight. Nowdays, I have an aluminum Partner DO, 2 burner stove, traded the heavy Partner blaster and Steel propane bombs for a wimpy little woodland stove that works sorta ok, and composite propane bombs. My wife on the other hand still brings everything she owns (aarrggh!), but there's little I can do with that, the old adage, "Happy Wife = Happy Life" still remains the motto of the trip.
Old 3 Hours Ago   #8

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt man View Post
I, to, used to do both, well, I was a creature that at least resembled a kayaker, but the more specific genus was called “swimmer”.

Been there, done that, now I stay on my raft LOL... You do have to give it to the kayakers, I was never ever what one would even remotely consider comfortable in a kayak, but then I'm a big guy at 6'3" 225#, I started in an old Phoenix Ocoee, and graduated to a T Slalom, which was like putting on a pair of hip hugger jeans from the 70's.

I still love it when a kayaker tells me that they can do anything in their kayak that I can do in a raft or Dory. I tell them, watch carefully, I bet you can't do this, as I stand up, walk to the back of the boat, take a piss, walk back to the cooler, reach in, grab a beverage, sit down and pop the top, light a cigar and lean back and enjoy the day!!!
Different strokes and all
Old 3 Hours Ago   #9

Jenks, Oklahoma
I am a kayaker and rafter.

Fun or painfull times on multi day river floats. Everything depends on the people.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Hour Ago   #10

Boise, Idahoer
Paddling Since: 2011
I think the biggest difference (rafters versus kayakers) is in the time that they spend boating? I've been on lots of trips where out-of-shape rafters weighed themselves down with their own silly gear. Kayakers kayak a lot. I would never carry a paco pad for a kayaker, and no real kayaker would ever ask.
D-Sieve is online now   Reply With Quote