Kayaker first time R2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-23-2015   #1

Roseburg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2015
Kayaker first time R2

So my buddy talked me out of my kayak an into his raft. We ran Nugget Falls to powerhouse. This was my first time R2 and I must say I enjoyed it a lot. I learned that there is more then one way to enjoy the river.I found the team work aspect intriguing.

Poedunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2015   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Awesome we just bought a little raft for R2ing and taking the kiddos out. It's fun, easier to communicate, and we can tackle bigger water with more confidence... plus drink and store more (much colder) beer!
Definitely more than one way to enjoy the river, and it's always fun trying something new...
But I've found that when I'm rafting... I do indeed miss my kayak.
Old 11-23-2015   #3

Roseburg, Oregon
Ya dont get me wrong I LOVE my kayak.I just found it amazing running the same lines in a little raft (9'6) had a completely different rush. In my kayak my decision control my fate. In the raft I had to trust my buddy. You also get to share the glory when you make it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2015   #4
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I've seen his videos before, he's pretty aggressive. I gotta admit, it scares me a little seeing him take his kids on some of that stuff. I've paddled a lot of what he filmed, and if he did in fact flip that raft with that many kids, there could be some serious consequences. I measure every risk very carefully with my kids on the river, but then again, I've seen stuff happen in the last 26 years that a lot haven't. Shit happens in the weirdest places. People swim when you don't think they would. I'd like to have a few more support boats with that many kids. If something happened, I'd want one adult per kid in case of rescue. Seems like a great guy. I think it's awesome he is getting them out on the water like that. Very entertaining watching the kids.
Old 11-25-2015   #5

Roseburg, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learch View Post
I've seen his videos before, he's pretty aggressive. I gotta admit, it scares me a little seeing him take his kids on some of that stuff. I've paddled a lot of what he filmed, and if he did in fact flip that raft with that many kids, there could be some serious consequences
I agree in the fact there could be more safety. That being said I also feel that its his kids his decision. He is a single Dad that wants his kids to live an adventures life.He spends more one on one time with his kids in a week then alot of parents do in a month.His oldest kid is also becoming a very codependent paddler.
Old 11-27-2015   #6
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I have a lot of respect for a guy who takes his kids out anywhere on the water. I have a 5 and 7 year old that just finished their 3rd river season out. My comment comes from just a lot of miles rafting and kayaking, and I have seen bad things happen. I can tell he cares, I really appreciate the helmets on them all. I also know I'm not the most cutting edge, aggressive paddler in the world, so take my conservative comments with a grain of salt. I do take some risks with my kids too, I play scenarios in my brain all of the time on the river. Some of of my worst swims were in no name rapids.
When I ran pinball this year I followed a guy who runs the North Umpqua regularly into Alligator wave and he dumped it at Alligator and swam to the bottom of Pinball. The water level was a summer flow so not too pushy. I didn't catch up to him in time to pull him out at the top so I followed his kayak down (He was river right on the inside of the turn and the boat went left) I managed to corral his boat and some others in our group snagged him. One of the leaders of the trip told me "you didn't take door #3!" and that just made me laugh because if I'm chasing boats and swimmers I just follow them regardless of where they go. Maybe one of these days we will find each other out on the river and actually meet and talk. I met a few really cool people from the NWRA on that trip.
Old 12-01-2015   #7

Roseburg, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learch View Post
When I ran pinball this year I followed a guy who runs the North Umpqua regularly into Alligator wave and he dumped it at Alligator and swam to the bottom of Pinball. The water level was a summer flow so not too pushy. I didn't catch up to him in time to pull him out at the top so I followed his kayak down (He was river right on the inside of the turn and the boat went left) I managed to corral his boat and some others in our group snagged him. One of the leaders of the trip told me "you didn't take door #3!" and that just made me laugh because if I'm chasing boats and swimmers I just follow them regardless of where they go. Maybe one of these days we will find each other out on the river and actually meet and talk. I met a few really cool people from the NWRA on that trip.
Ya man next time you hit the umpqua hit me up always down to get on the river. I live in roseburg so Im up on the Umpqua alot. Plan to hit up some of the upper south up when the water goes up. cow creek sounds fun also.