Jackson Hole; bring raft? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-22-2010   #1
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Jackson Hole; bring raft?

I'm spending a few days in Victor ID next week. I've never been but it seems like some good oppotunties for day trips, class III, family floats. I have a 16' cataraft and duckies I can bring. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010   #2

Jackson, Wyoming
Either would be fine. The river is low right now, so the duckies would be fine, but there are plenty of stretched that the cat would be great.
JBL347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #3

New Castle, Colorado
I would like to row the cat with newbies on board. We would like to choose 1 or 2 day floats up to 5 hours. Any ideas on put-ins/ take outs? I'm having trouble finding specific info. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010   #4

New Castle, Colorado
Ooops! Not two days floats, Just day trips. Two different day trips would be great!
Old 07-22-2010   #5

Jackson, Wyoming
Put in at West Table and take out at Sheeps Gulch. It's 8 miles and you can do it in an hour or two. That's the main whitewater stretch up here. It's fun, and mellow this time of year.
JBL347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #6

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
If you are looking for something more obscure try the sheep falls run. You can run the henry's fork from riverside campground to a little takeout ramp, probably 8 miles of continuous class II+ or III-. I can get better directions if that interests you. If you want to push it further you can blow past the 'danger ahead' signs to sheep falls. sheep falls is really 3 falls. rated class V in some books they are one hit wonders without a real move, just line it up and bash.

more relaxing floats-
warm river: small trib of henry's fork class II if memory serves.
south fork of the snake below the palisades sp? res: about 40 miles of class I blue ribbon fishing.

Maybe: sections of the grey's may be doable. proabably a hoot in duckies @ 700. really close to the alpine stretch first mentioned.

Avoid: fall river class III (super low water) teton river class IV (low water, wicked takeout),

Overall victor/Driggs has lots to do, great biking, climbing, hiking and other mountain sports. The decent whitewater is probably 90 minutes away. I'd head to grand targhee and do some biking. Unless you are in to fishing, then you should get on the flatwater sections. It depends on how dedicated you are to riversports.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #7

New Castle, Colorado
Thanks everyone! Sounds like I should bring ALL the toys!

Tags
rafting