Is this air cell repairable? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-10-2017   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Is this air cell repairable?

I picked up this tomcat ducky today off c.l. for a 100 bucks and there's a reason it was a 100 bucks lol. I figured I could buy a new bladder/Air cell but I can't seem to find them on line and maybe they cost more than the boats worth ?I dunno? It's on the welded seem or heat laminated or whatever it's called and it's seems like junk but then I was thinkin (dangerous I know) why couldn't I just glue the splits to themselves? You know put the glue on inside and just squish them together? If you think or know of a professsional way could you share? . Otherwise I read that the US aire bladders are better. If I order a new one should I buy them or just not worry about it. 100 bucks for the boat and a decent paddle probably worth fixing . It's not going to be used in critical water and or remote wilderness but it should be straight away to be fun. Thanks charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170910_185600.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	583.6 KB
ID:	22626  

Pinchecharlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2017   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Call Aire to see how much a new bladder for it is. Seems like it should be repairable though. Might just need a few layers of tear aid honestly.

There is a possibility that an Aire Lynx bladder might fit in it since the Tomcat is designed after the Lynx, but no gaurantees at all. I'm sure they have replacements for the Tomcat though, so definitely call them.

I'm sure there is a professional around Bozeman but I couldn't say who. Maybe call and ask one of the raft outfitters in town who they use. I'm sure if you mailed it to Aire they would fix it for you too.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Pretty sure you have to call Aire directly to order a new bladder. I don't think they list them online anywhere. I picked one up for a Tomcat Tandem and I want to say it was like $160 but I'm not certain.
bcpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2017   #4

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Yea - call Aire and order a replacement bladder, they don't list them on their site. I bought a side tube bladder for their Tomcat LV for under $100 shipped this spring and it was a quick & easy replacement. Aire's tecs are super helpful, even when you get xferred to the fishing side of the repair shop. Even with a new $100 bladder, it's still an inexpensive IK all things considered.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017   #5

Bozeman, Montana
thanks! 100 bucks isn't to bad for a new air cell so I'll give them a call and order a new one. I'll send them a picture of busted one too, who knows maybe they can fix it and it could be a back up. Thanks for the replies!
Old 09-11-2017   #6

C. Springs, Colorado
If you do decide to patch or tape it back together, you will need to do both an inside patch and an outside patch. I would try and fix it with tear aide tape. I've had really good luck with what I've used it on so far.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Just fyi, aire says they won't fix a split seem on a air cell , at least not the one I have. And a new tomcat side air cell is 80 bucks shipped. Iam going to try the inside/outside tear aid for fun who knows might work as a backup? Thanks again
Old 09-11-2017   #8

Vanderwagen, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 12
I would suggest trying tear aid too. Be sure to use the right tape.
Mtnbuzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017   #9

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Two of the biggest lessons I've learned in boat repair are; Don't put Raftsmith Flexseal tube sealent in a drop stitch floor and don't even try to fix a split seam.
Old 09-11-2017   #10

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Is this air cell repairable?

$80 is a great deal. Do it!
D.B.kayaker knows his stuff--I've tried both gluing and taping split seams. Never worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
briandburns is online now   Reply With Quote