Is frozen food as good as ice? - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Chandler, Arizona
Is frozen food as good as ice?

So tell me I'm wrong but, wouldn't a yeti packed solid with frozen food like steak , sausage, burgers, egg burritos etc be as cold as and last as long frozen as a cooler with half ice blocks and half frozen food?
In other words isn't frozen food as cold as ice and lasts cold as long??

Woodstockaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Somebody is bound to jump in here with a bunch of science to set us all straight, but I personally wouldn't try it.

I'm guessing the answer will be that there isn't nearly the water content in the frozen foods so it therefore doesn't have as much energy locked up in the ice crystals. IE: It doesn't last as long.

Just from experience, frozen burgers thaw out way faster sitting on a picnic table than a block of ice melts.

The real question is "to drain or not to drain."
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Only if it's Swanson's TV Dinners

No muss, no fuss, and your peas don't roll into the taters with the compartmental tray.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Denver, Colorado
I keep wanting to find a walk in freezer where I can take my cooler.
I'd like to layer in the food in stages and take a few days.
Layer of food, cover with water, freeze.
Repeat until you're on the first few days and then fill it with food and cover with ice or let chill, etc.

I do it with water bottles to put in my cooler, put some in, freeze it, pour some on top, freeze. Gives me solid ice with no bulging bottles.

Anybody in the Erie, CO/front range area know of a good place to try it out. My chest freezer won't hold my 160 qt cooler or I'd be doing it already.
jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
contact a local meat processor / taxidermist. They usually have large cooling facilities that aren't used much in the boating season.
wack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Denver, Colorado
Great idea, I'll see what I can find out and see if it can happen. I process my own meat, may need to visit one next year to start building a relationship.
jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Chandler, Arizona
Cooler packed full of frozen food with no ice.

Will it stay as cold as one with ice?
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Eagle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonseim View Post
I keep wanting to find a walk in freezer where I can take my cooler.
I'd like to layer in the food in stages and take a few days.
Repeat until you're on the first few days and then fill it with food and cover with ice or let chill, etc.

I do it with water bottles to put in my cooler, put some in, freeze it, pour some on top, freeze. Gives me solid ice with no bulging bottles.

Anybody in the Erie, CO/front range area know of a good place to try it out. My chest freezer won't hold my 160 qt cooler or I'd be doing it already.

Do you have kids? Make friends with a teacher or admin.... Our group is all school admin and coolers spend a week in the schools walk in..... Its running and not being used.
Nubie Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Chandler, Arizona
Hijacked. Lol. K pirates let's look at the topic.

Does a full cooler really need ice??
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
Don't just use steaks

Ice works two ways to keep your stuff cold. Both processes absorb heat.

First, let's stay you start with very cold solid ice from a deep freeze -- between zero and -10 degrees F. Let's also say you were smart and stuck a few blocks in your cooler a few days before as sacrificial ice to pre-chill the interior of the cooler. That ice melts faster.... Once your cooler is packed, you head out into the wide world that's above freezing. Heat makes its way into the cooler. The ice absorbs that heat and the ice warms up, but doesn't melt. This makes sense, and yes, frozen food would do the same thing.

The next part is the magic. It involves phase change and latent heat. Once the ice warms to the melting point and is isothermal (all the same temperature), it continues to absorb heat, but it does not change temperature. The heat energy is needed for the phase change. As the ice was warming from -10 to 32 degrees, that was "sensible heat," so named because you can sense it. Latent heat doesn't change the temperature. Water is such an awesome chemical, I wish there were some way we could use it for recreation....

Once the ice is melted, it's still 32 degrees. It still can absorb more heat, and this is again sensible heat. You still have safe food until the temperature gets to 41 degrees, and that's when you enter the danger zone.

Here's a quiz: Can you use something else frozen that will work like water ice that isn't water? I use frozen BEER as part of my ice. It still goes through a phase change, but does so at a slightly lower temperature because it's a solution of sugar and alcohol in water. But it's still absorbing heat as it melts, so the water ice won't need to absorb as much.

I use frozen jugs of water to keep my food dry, so I don't drain. The real question is sodium hypochlorite, chlorine dioxide, or quaternary ammonium.
Will Amette is online now   Reply With Quote