Irresponsible? - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Gunnison, colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Irresponsible?

My wife and I had planned a raft trip for Monday 30th but with Colorado lawfully shut and all of us ordered to "stay in place" we are debating if we should go. It is just going to be the two of us, we thought it would be a great way to enjoy our quarantine without going absolutely stir crazy. We havent left our house (our property) for 15 days! Is the "MAN" going to crack down on us if we get stopped on our way to the put-in? Am I being entirely too selfish even considering going???

Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
So it's great that y'all have been hunkered down for 2 weeks - it sounds like you're taking things with the appropriate seriousness. - Good on you! Now as for going boating it always seems like we'll be in our own little bubble for the entire trip. But this is seldom the case - we stop along the way, get gas and food, a bag of ice and some frosty beverages, hire/catch a shuttle, and so on. Even taking very diligent precautions you're opening yourself up to getting the bug from someone else. You're also setting the example for other, likely less diligent, folks out there that it's fine to be going out boating and encouraging them to move around during the current crisis.

There's also the issue of whether camping or overnight stays wherever you're planning to go is allowed. If that's part of your trip, then there's no decision.

So on the graphic below, maybe you could be the one that stayed home. That's what the TL did with our permit and no one complained.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
I've been a good person by following the major rules of the game plan by isolating myself from public contact, hope it works with millions of players in the field. But as river runners we all know to always have game plan's B, C, D in our hip pocket ready to go if shit doesn't go as planned, we would be irresponsible if we did not, for our families, loved ones and friends sake.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

The stay at home "order", has no teeth. It is a request, not a law. The governor even stated that before he made the "order".

I saw lots of cars with bikes, and campers today. People are getting out to have fun. I say good!
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

SLC, Utah
Another thing to consider is that if (highly unlikely, I'm sure) you were to have any kind of incident and needed help/emergency services, you are now putting stress on an already maxed out emergency services/health care system....or you might not get any help at all.
blueotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
To no surprise whatsoever with it being the internet and all....I got no end of shit from the internet morality patrol vigilantes for asking if anyone was doing a Deso trip and had any spots available on one of the facebook pages. I ended up deleting the thread 20 minutes after I posted it because the only answers I was getting were barely veiled diatribes about how horrible and irresponsible a person I was for even considering going out and I was having a hard time holding back about how I felt about those people. It was going nowhere good.

Anyways... I think it is completely reasonable and not particularly irresponsible to go get away from people in the wild as long as you take precautions and are realistic about it. Some places have a true public health order in place saying not to and threatening fines and jail time (ironic to threaten to dump people into a confined space with a bunch of other people for going out and staying away from people) so maybe avoid those areas.

I think this is serious and there are some real threats to our health care system...but I'm not convinced being holed up at home is the best or only way to deal with it.

Honestly... you should probably go do it. Like others have said...they aren't really doing any enforcement even in areas like Moab (if the scuttle butt is correct) that have a pretty harshly worded stop order on coming to the area. I would say buy supplies near home, and only stop for gas, and limit the trip size. Do your own shuttle...and be self reliant for any incidents that happen. If any of that sounds unreasonable...stay home and wait it out.

I'd do it quietly though...otherwise you'll bring out the internet morality patrol. I'd even consider deleting this thread.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Hey there. Thanks for posting this. I was just pondering the same question. Actually, I called the BLM office for Ruby and asked if there were any restrictions under the current order in place. They said currently there was not. We are a family of 4 (and one lazy dog) and have been practicing good social responsibility with respect to distance, frequency to stores and public places... hell... even restricting our kids from certain types of outdoor play with their friends and neighboorhood kids. Trying to do what we can. However, I fail to see how being diligent with the same type of measures in putting in on a river trip would expose us or others more than what we are doing now. If the BLM has not restricted any permits on Ruby, we are going to make a 3 night trip. Not eating out or grabbing a "frosty beverage" (WTF?) on the way during this time. The only exposure will be my hand touching a gas pump handle. Even planning to not allow the family to use public restrooms and shit in the groover on the way! I think that if you are responsible, and minimize the risk (as much as you would being home and going to the store, gas station, etc..), then there is no difference.
markfortcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Eagle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
To no surprise whatsoever with it being the internet and all....I got no end of shit from the internet morality patrol vigilantes for asking if anyone was doing a Deso trip and had any spots available on one of the facebook pages. I ended up deleting the thread 20 minutes after I posted it because the only answers I was getting were barely veiled diatribes about how horrible and irresponsible a person I was for even considering going out and I was having a hard time holding back about how I felt about those people. It was going nowhere good.

Anyways... I think it is completely reasonable and not particularly irresponsible to go get away from people in the wild as long as you take precautions and are realistic about it. Some places have a true public health order in place saying not to and threatening fines and jail time (ironic to threaten to dump people into a confined space with a bunch of other people for going out and staying away from people) so maybe avoid those areas.

I think this is serious and there are some real threats to our health care system...but I'm not convinced being holed up at home is the best or only way to deal with it.

Honestly... you should probably go do it. Like others have said...they aren't really doing any enforcement even in areas like Moab (if the scuttle butt is correct) that have a pretty harshly worded stop order on coming to the area. I would say buy supplies near home, and only stop for gas, and limit the trip size. Do your own shuttle...and be self reliant for any incidents that happen. If any of that sounds unreasonable...stay home and wait it out.

I'd do it quietly though...otherwise you'll bring out the internet morality patrol. I'd even consider deleting this thread.
100% agree... One of the things that came out in the aftermath today (on the 1200 call) was to enjoy the State and City parks but be responsible. Keep you social distance. So what makes you any worse than the guy stopping for gas on the way to Wash Park? As others have said.... be smart, wash your hands, sanitize as necessary.... If it the two of you have fun! I am jealous.... my gear is spread out over the floor of the garage... I may have to throw it in the boat!
Nubie Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

East Wenatchee, Washington
Paddling Since: 1976
Hey, if you know any Healthcare Pros make sure you send them trip photo's when you get back. I am sure it will boost their morale if they have time to look at them.

Signed,
Snitty for a reason

Who's an anonymous coward?
Do you need a name, address, phone number, life history to not be "anonymous"?
chiefstilh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

I think this is solid advice:
https://www.hcn.org/articles/covid19...m_medium=email
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote