Insure Raft - Do people do it? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-02-2017   #1

MA, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 2011
Insure Raft - Do people do it?

Hi Folks -

I hope everyone had a great holiday!

Coming into the new year, I was wondering who out there insures their raft? I ride sleds too and there has been an exorbitant amount of thefts with them and with the couple cases I've been reading on line, one can NEVER be TOO safe.

I"m going to call my insurance agent in the morning (Liberty Mutual) but figured I'd ask on here. I have over 7k tied up in it and that would leave a huge dent if it happened to get stolen.

Thank you!

cdtakacs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017   #2

Evergreen, Colorado
I was told recently that a raft and expensive bikes would be covered under my home owners policy, so if be curious what they tell you.
gwheyduke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017   #3
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
my home owners covers theft of my rafting equipment. but does not cover damage of the equipment. - I'm only really concerned about the theft part.
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
You can get an additional rider to cover the extra cost of gear in your garage; it's inexpensive. I would ask the question, "I have $xx,000 of gear in my garage; would I be covered for all of it?"
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017   #5

Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
My understanding is your home owners or additional rider covers if it was stolen out of your house/garage. What about out of a vehicle? Anyone know about that?
CaptBiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017   #6

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
My agent years ago told me that my climbing gear would be covered by homeowner's insurance if stolen from my vehicle.

It's probably been said, but it bears repeating, every policy is different and you should not only check with your agent, but also read the policy.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
I got renters insurance for this very reason. My plan covers any personal property stolen from my possession, including from a vehicle far away from my house.
almortal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017   #8

summit, Colorado
We have our raft and driftboat on a Progressive standalone boat policy - it's just a few hundred bucks for a year, and has a much lower deductible than our homeowners policy. Always check with your specific insurance company to clarify exactly what they cover as far as boats. They all treat them differently - some will cover them as normal sports equipment unless they have a motor, and others won't even cover a canoe without a special rider added to the policy. Make sure to get it in writing, too. I got transferred to a new agent over a year ago, and they really preferred phone vs email. After multiple phone conversations about the new homeowners policy, I was assured our boats were covered. When it came time to renew the policy, I asked to double check the boat coverage, and was told that no boats were covered. Needless to say, Icancelled that policy and got myself a new agent that day!
basinrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017   #9
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
If you make a claim for a boat that is in the cost range of a typical raft setup, your home policy most likely will be cancelled and you will have a hard time getting another policy that has any kind of reasonable premium. This is from actual experience of a family member with a boat claim in Alaska.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017   #10

little rock, Arkansas
I have a policy through Foremost (Farmers' toy insurance subsidiary). For around $260 a year I have theft and damage coverage for the raft (rig and trailer), two canoes and my john boat rig (16' boat, trailer and 25 hp outboard). Said coverage applies whether any of the aforementioned is in transport, on the water or in my back yard. Never filed a claim on any of them but I did have two claims with Foremost on a previously owned party barge (ex-wife wasn't the best boat captain) and never experienced a premium increase or cancellation (homeowners, auto, umbrella and life through Farmer's). So, I'd say as in all other cases experience varies, but a couple hundred bucks a year makes sense to me and adverse action subsequent to a claim isn't necessarily a foregone conclusion.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote