inflation pressures for Tomcat IKs? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-01-2016   #1

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
inflation pressures for Tomcat IKs?

AIRE says they should be run at 2.5psi but does anyone know what the actual burst pressure for the vinyl bladders is? Meaning is there a safety margin beyond the 2.5psi? With the summer heat upon us now I am deflating them to below 2psi as soon as I am off the water, something I never bothered with when I had the urethane bladder boats or my PVC Sevylor sk 100. Is this necessary or can I drive home with the boat still fully inflated on the roof, for upto 1 hour or so?

Thanks for any advise on this.

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2016   #2

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Hey Jim, I would say this is just one of those common-sense kinda deals. I would definitely deflate just a small amount especially during hot days and direct sun, because the expansion will weaken the seams. But more importantly, you really need to unzip the outer shell and flush the inner bladder with water to remove very fine sand particle that get inside during silty river runs. I have had to patch mine twice in the past 3 years now, just tiny pin holes. I usually leave my tomcat inflated half-way all the time during boating season.
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016   #3

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Thanks Gunner, I guess I will also deflate to half pressure after each use.I never thought of the seams getting stressed.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2016   #4
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I always deflate to soft pressure. worse case scenario.. you're loosening straps.
Old 07-01-2016   #5

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I always drop the pressure. It's just an ik. Top up is like 3 minutes.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I've seen an Aire cat tube blow up, sounded like a 12 gauge. He had her rock solid, roof topped it, and cranked it down hard. That roof musta been really warm because about 10 mins later, while finishing the beer, his boat went boom. Don't let your boat go boom! Aire did warranty it...because they are awesome
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016   #7
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I've seen Tributary tubes burst in the hot sun. They are not as durable and cannot hold as much pressure as an Aire boat. Remember, if you drive over a mountain pass the tube pressure can increase quite a bit too!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016   #8

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
The Trib bladders are different than the Aires? I've never heard that.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016   #9

Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Yeah, I heard that sound no one likes to hear while derigging at cache bar last month. Another party set a 14 foot trib next to my gear and about 20 minutes later--kwham!
funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016   #10
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
The Trib bladders are different than the Aires? I've never heard that.
Yep. Despite the common perception that Tributary is just like Aire, the materials, construction, and overall quality pale in comparison to the real deal. Not that they aren't whitewater-worthy boats, I just wouldn't expect them to hold up like their American made counterparts....
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote