Inflatable Kayak Floor - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-26-2017   #1

Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1989
Inflatable Kayak Floor

So I just acquired a 2 person Achilles IK. The only thing is, the inflatable floor is long gone. The people I got it from said they just sat on boat cushions, but I feel like then the boat would always have water in the bottom and be much less nimble. Short of trying to find a replacement floor from Achilles does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

yellowbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2017   #2

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
You could look into a separate drop stitch floor. I haven't seen any entrapment hazards with mine but caution is certainly warranted. I put an nrs ds floor in my sea eagle because the original floor was worthless. It has since become my secondary ik because I purchased a better boat. It worked well as an option when I did use it more. I wouldn't trust a separate floor in a raft, but didn't see any problems in an ik because of sitting instead of standing on the surface. Or look at installing a floor from another manufacturer that meets sizing.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017   #3

., .
Having owned an Achilles IK and a few AIRE IK’s, I’m thinking the best results, while trying to save some money, would be to copy the use of AIRE’s older IK’s using firm foam floors (before they started using I-beam floors). Their single IK used a 2-piece foam floor and their double IK used a 3-piece foam floor. Essentially, the floors were of a certain thickness and deeply beveled around the edge-perimeter to tuck under and in to side-tube/floor cleavage.

The downside would be a little bulkier to store and transport.

The upside would be a firmer more responsive boat and drier on the butt, but primarily cheap and you’re able to get a precise fit.

I would attempt to find someone with another Achilles and see if you or them could trace their floor on a large piece of paper/clear plastic and measure the thickness. Use this as a pattern cut out a foam floor and then bevel the edges little-by-little till it fits.

I did have a couple older AIRE single and double IK foam floors in storage and might be able to send one your way, if you’re interested in going in this direction and repurposing them?

Cheers!

PS a buddy has a double Achilles and I maybe able use his to trace and and get measurements, if yours is a double.
riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2017   #4
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I put a drop stitch floor I ordered off of ebay for like $60 in an old Hyside padillac I picked up from a guy here on the buzz last summer. it actually does really great! just laced right in, and the boat performs great.