Imnaha River Info - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-17-2018   #1

Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Imnaha River Info

Looking for info on the Imnaha River from the town of Imaha to Heller Bar. Anyone have launch point info and what would be a good level for 14 foot boats and smaller.
Not sure what our snow pack is gonna hold this spring, but may give it a shot if permits fall through.
Anyone have any thoughts on river camps? May also do Grande Ronde as well if I'm driving that far.
Rouge at 9000 last year was a blast as well as Lower Owyhee at 2600. Just looking to do rivers I have not done. Any info anyone has would be great.

Thanks.

Where does the white go when the snow melts?

liquidlimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2018   #2

NE, Oregon
There is a boat slip at the first bridge below town, let the nearby house owner know what you're up to.

There is a couple of camps in the canyon above Cow Creek, several more in the vicinity of Cow Creek (pit toliet). Nothing below Cow Creek until the Snake. Mixed private and public lands along the river. Also poison ivy is thick.

I wouldn't go lower than 800 or 1000. Depending on what you think is fun..

Continuous class 2/3 above Cow Creek, pull drop class 3/4 below, quite a few in the last 4 miles.

Then 24 miles of Snake lake. The only good thing, when the Imnaha is running the Snake and the Salmon are pumping, regardless plan for a night on the Snake.

Logistics for shuttle aren't great, call ahead if you plan to hire.

It's a great canyon and fun water, good luck
Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018   #3

Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
How many miles from cow creek to the snake? And yeah I know about the lake. Should have taken out at phippsberg when I did Hell's a few years back. Thanks for the info. Pray for some frozen rapids before spring.
liquidlimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2018   #4

NE, Oregon
~4 miles
Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018   #5

Treasure Valley, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
The Poison Ivy is out of control!!!!

Anyone know why the USFS does not kill it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie 1.5 View Post
There is a boat slip at the first bridge below town, let the nearby house owner know what you're up to.

There is a couple of camps in the canyon above Cow Creek, several more in the vicinity of Cow Creek (pit toliet). Nothing below Cow Creek until the Snake. Mixed private and public lands along the river. Also poison ivy is thick.

I wouldn't go lower than 800 or 1000. Depending on what you think is fun..

Continuous class 2/3 above Cow Creek, pull drop class 3/4 below, quite a few in the last 4 miles.

Then 24 miles of Snake lake. The only good thing, when the Imnaha is running the Snake and the Salmon are pumping, regardless plan for a night on the Snake.

Logistics for shuttle aren't great, call ahead if you plan to hire.

It's a great canyon and fun water, good luck
NativeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018   #6

Hailey, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2003
If you're going that far you might as well run the Grande Ronde down to Heller Bar. It's beautiful, super fun, and has an abundance of awesome camps. I've done Minam to Troy the past two years on Memorial weekend and it's been amazing. Call Lottie at the Minam Store (541) 437-1111 for shuttle info. Minam to Heller Bar shuttle is only $165 per vehicle. The lady and I have talked a lot about extending the trip down to Heller Bar, a couple of more days on the river and it would make our return drive several hours shorter. Watch out for rattlesnakes in camp. Our dogs found one on day 3 last year.