I'm sexy and I know it! - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-05-2012   #1

Reston, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2006
I'm sexy and I know it!

The wife is out of town, we're having a heat wave, and I'm building a frame for my new custom Legend tubes, so I set it up in AC comfort of my living/dining area. In the pictures, you'll see my basic layout. I figured I'd get some comments, feedback and input (and a little bit of bullsh*t) from you Buzzards crew on my project. Any sound advice you might have, I'd appreciate it.

Tube dimensions: 16' X 25"
Frame dimensions: 96" long, 76" wide, bay 1 = 25" bay 2 = 18" bay 3 = 25" bay 4 = 18"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0716.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	963.3 KB
ID:	4887   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0717.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	4888  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0719.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	972.3 KB
ID:	4889   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0718.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	949.3 KB
ID:	4890  

Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012   #2

Reston, Virginia
I didn't want to make the 1st post too long so here's the sequal(s). These are some of the things coming to mind. Feel free to discuss any or all of what I'm addressing.

1. I run class III-V any time I'm taking this baby out on the water.

2. I just prefer "Idaho style" for rowing position and the benefits it provides have seemed to outweigh its drawbacks.

3. I'm not sure on what to do for a seat setup. I'm used to a NRS highback, and really like the comfort, support and bracing it provides. But think that might be putting me up to high if I mount it on top of a drybox on bay two.

4. I'm thinking of welding cross members (pipe/tube) to the drop rails to support the drybox and cooler. Since my dual rails are detachable as separate pieces, I think it seems like a good idea to do this so I can cut down rigging time, and on the shorter trips, I can get in and out of the cooler full of beer.

5. I'm getting some edge trim to wrap the diamond plating to reduce risks of lacerations and give it a more finished professional look. I'm also going to drill out holes to bolt it directly to the custom dual rail fittings and use a rubber/cork gasket in between. It just seems to be a good idea to do so.
Old 07-05-2012   #3

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
So sexy, looks like something you would get towed around on hammered in Mexico.
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012   #4

Reston, Virginia
The oar towers have rubber/cork gaskets made for them, and I plan on making extra holes in the 1/4" thick diamond plating to allow for 1.5" adjustment fore or aft.

I'm on the east coast, and groovers aren't required by law. However, I still need to have a warm and fuzzy on where/how to store one for the trips out west. I'm thinking somewhere in bay 3?

Is there anything else to consider aside from accessories? I'm mainly concerned with seating, storage, welded drop rails, and overall layout.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2012   #5

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Your towers look close to your feet. Maybe this is intended. Doesnt hurt to add more holes for adjustment

If you have welding skills i'd consider mounting a detachable plate on the front of the boat that you can strap/clip your groover to. That way it doesnt affect your setup and there is no groover to cooler/drybox contact issues. Plus it adds weight in front of your boat (you may find with gear etc your CG is behind the center of the boat)

The other thing is check with the rivers you want to float. I've seen 4' x 4" abs tubes made into groovers if you dont mind stuffing. That could basically mount alongside the spare oar and maybe meet the requirements. Wag bags if you want to be extra sanitary. Some rivers require them but have real toilets along them so you rarely need to use it
Old 07-05-2012   #6
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
How do you keep the welding burns off the carpet?
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #7

Reston, Virginia
I like the idea of using PVC pipe to store human waste instead of a ammo can.

I thought wag bags for each use would be a good idea to be more sanitary and to keep stink down. I'm glad somebody else mentioned it.

Gonna have to check if that will pass regulations for the big name rivers.

I'm still mulling over the seat issue, which is the next thing I need to do so I can at least starttaking it out on the rivers.
Old 07-06-2012   #8

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Just get a shallow depth drybox and bolt a nrs seatplate inside the lid. I wouldnt do highback there will be a lot of strain on your box and it will get trashed if you flip
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #9
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Totally sexy. I have used pvc personal human waste containers with wag bags for years. The link below has instructions as to how to make them. Plus there is a sweet fire box system that I just made this week and will be tring it out this weekend.

Food for thought.

Self Support Kayak Camping
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #10

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahofloater
Totally sexy. I have used pvc personal human waste containers with wag bags for years. The link below has instructions as to how to make them. Plus there is a sweet fire box system that I just made this week and will be tring it out this weekend.

Food for thought.

Self Support Kayak Camping
Last year i spoke with a ranger. Last i heard The Rogue allows wag bags and gamma lid cans. You gotta show then you have enough wag bags however. Always a good idea to phone the ranger station before your trip
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote