Illinois day trip - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-01-2018   #1

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2011
Illinois day trip

Looking to get out on the Illinois this Saturday but unfortunately just have the day.

Has anyone ran from the "Rancheria" AKA low water bridge down to Miami Bar?
I did this is a IK a LONG time ago at super low water. Looking for any advice. Is it worth it? Guessing its pretty straight forward but anything I would need to know would be greatly appreciated.

The other option would be Green bridge to above the falls or portage the falls which I have done before but the shuttle is a bitch!

Anyone interested in joining let me know.

Thanks!

Ruger9009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2018   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I'm no expert and have never run it, but did a bunch of research last fall when I was gonna do a Rogue and Illinois trip combo that ended up falling through.

I'm sure its doable if you haul ass and do minimal scouting. Its right on the border of being too high for many people, but I'll leave that decision to you.

That said...the shuttle is ~4 hours each way or expensive to have done professionally. Saturday is a good day for it though, since that is the one day a week that Orange Torpedo supposedly does a shuttle.

Sorry...can't make it since I'm in Colorado and 30 hours of driving each way isn't in the cards for a day trip.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018   #3

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Probably too late for this info but there is a guy who goes by the name of Barefoot Brad that does shuttles and could answer your questions.

Last I knew he was in Gasquet. I don't have any contact info but you could call She-She's Cafe or the gas station in Hiouchi (I think it is called the Hiouchi Hamlet) and someone there would undoubtedly know if he is still around. It is a small area.
Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2018   #4

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2011
Sorry this was a confusing post and things got misunderstood. I was just talking about the section above the multi day float. The section is only 12ish miles maybe less and its actually really fun and quick if anyone is interested in a day trip. Put on at the green bridge and float down to the last take out above the falls. Decent water, great scenery. If you want some info let me know. posted the only decent picture I took.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0319.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	25482  
Ruger9009 is offline   Reply With Quote