IKs on the Grand - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-16-2013   #1

Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
IKs on the Grand

Got invited on a Grand trip this October. TL says that 2 people plan to take inflatable kayaks the whole way, and thus won't be regular raft passengers. My experience is that after a couple of swims, the duckies end up tied on a raft for most of the trip. Does anybody actually do the whole canyon in an IK? I want to be sure the trip has enough rafts and rowers.

swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013   #2

welch, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1976
If you need a another raft I have a 20 maravia self baler and would be interested in hooking up with some one with a permit
ranchman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013   #3

Bisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
I've seen all the rapids successfully run in IKs. It very much depends on paddler's ability or enthusiasm to be wet. Drysuit and thigh braces are handy.
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013   #4

Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
I use a simple two bar frame and tie two IK's together - the "super or lucky"duck. We had several of these and ran every rapid without problem. Buckets of fun. We also had single IK's but the boils can be pretty challenging in the bigger rapids. The superduck opens up whole new experience, up close and personal like a hardshell but without the skill requirements.
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013   #5

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hartley View Post
I use a simple two bar frame and tie two IK's together - the "super or lucky"duck. We had several of these and ran every rapid without problem. Buckets of fun. We also had single IK's but the boils can be pretty challenging in the bigger rapids. The superduck opens up whole new experience, up close and personal like a hardshell but without the skill requirements.
Cool! Could you describe the bars and how you tie them off? Also, single blades I assume?
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013   #6

Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Psychology

Thanks for the info. Not so concerned with whether it could be done. Hell, it's been done with flippers hanging on to a dry bag. Just curious how often people say they'll do it, then end up begging rides in a raft for most of the trip.
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013   #7

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
We had an IK on our GC trip in Sept. at 12k cfs. He was very, very, green. He ran everything but the 7's, 8's, and 9's. Some days it was a pain, but most of the time it was not a big deal. A more experienced boater would be able to do much more, hence less of a pain.
Old 02-17-2013   #8

Conejos Canyon & Houston, CO & TX
Paddling Since: 1979
did one august trip probably 60% in IK, the rest rowing in a raft. at first nobody else wanted to try it, but then everybody wanted a turn - worked out well. easy to strap on or deflate and roll for big rapids where everybody wanted to be on a raft. in hindsight should have run a few more of the meaty ones. good way to stay cool in august - I wore shorts, a long sleve cotton shirt and a hat and was fine

not sure if they still do, but they used to run commercial trips with rookies in 'torpedoes', walking only a few of the big rapids. definately doable but depends on individual as someone already mentioned
crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013   #9

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
I had a non boater friend of mine want to go on my last GC trip, but we did not have the raft space for her to be a passenger. She put in at Lees Ferry in my solo IK with about a dozen river days and little big water experience under her belt. She averaged 1-2 flips a day, and was about 50/50 on the rapids above 8 (she made it through Lava just fine).

It can certainly can be done with novice paddlers, but I would want one that could pick themselves up and get back in the boat after they flip.

Kyle
Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #10

Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil U. View Post
Cool! Could you describe the bars and how you tie them off? Also, single blades I assume?
Not to hijack this thread but... If you ever want actual dimensions just let me know and I'll send them to you. It's really simple though. I just use two pieces of NRS frame stock and have some holes drilled for webbing loops. I run straps from the frame, through the boat's drain holes, around the tubes, and then back up to the frame. One bar on the front and one in the back. I used just plain pieces of steel pipe successfully in early prototypes. I donít know how to embed pictures but you can see a few different examples here:

SuperDuck Inflatable Rig Photos by mikeeh1954 | Photobucket

I've been promoting this rig for a few years for a lot of reasons. It's super fun, maneuverable (close to a kayak), and stable. For the paddler there is little risk of getting knocked around or thrown out of the boat like in a R2. The reason I mentioned it in this thread is a competent paddler can take an athletic but ďday 1Ē beginner and easily run 4th Class in it. Iíve done it many times. So on something like the Grand you can take a novice and give them a much better experience over sitting in a raft with a pretty low risk of flipping. Our tandem model didnít flip at all on the Grand at 25k and we ran everything. Our smaller single version flipped once but only when we were intentionally looking for trouble running an easy-to-miss big ole hole. Because of itís low center of gravity, stability, and paddler security due to having secure thigh straps I think it will whip most R2 designs any ole day.
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote