If you had to repair this, what would you do!? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Upstate, South Carolina
If you had to repair this, what would you do!?

Ok so a bought a used boat for a great price and this is the only flaw it has. I have never repaired an inflatable so any advice would be great! It seems like it has been patched before. I do not know how it ripped. Thanks for the help in advance ! Pic will be below. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1292.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	533.5 KB
ID:	34691

Anton8100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
That’s a good one. May need a few small patch pieces glued inside for tear strength and a big patch outside. Start by cleaning it gently with a nylon abrasive wheel on a drill or dremel type tool. See harbor freight link below. Take your time.

Someone else on here can certainly give you some good tips.

https://m.harborfreight.com/4-in-80-...ank-60325.html
FlyingDutchman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
in dry dock

Glenwoody, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I would cross stitch it closed with some nylon string before cleaning the whole area and throwing a single large strip patch. Be sure to rough up the surface of both the floor and the patch with sand paper so the adhesive has something to stick to, and follow the instructions on the adhesive meticulously.
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Upstate, South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
Thatís a good one. May need a few small patch pieces glued inside for tear strength and a big patch outside. Start by cleaning it gently with a nylon abrasive wheel on a drill or dremel type tool. See harbor freight link below. Take your time.

Someone else on here can certainly give you some good tips.

https://m.harborfreight.com/4-in-80-...ank-60325.html

Should I remove the old patch ??
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Upstate, South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton8100 View Post
Should I remove the old patch ??

What adhesive do I need to buy?
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Stabond will work for both Hypalon and PVC. You will need a cleaner before you glue, if it’s PVC that you ar working with, then the correct cleaner is going to be MEK. If it’s a Hypalon boat, then you want Toululene. Kinda looks like pvc in the picture, but I am not certain, what brand of raft is it?

Also, go take a look at the tutorials on the NRS web site, those guys have som great info on doing glue work for either type of material.

Everything involved with gluing is very toxic, where a respirator, chemical resistant gloves, and have Lots of fresh air.

That looks like kind of a tough project, for a first glue job, where ya located at? If you were in Colorado, I would say talk to Zach over at raftfix.com
I’m sure you can pull it off, but might be good for a pro to do, especially the way that floor has kept tearing open after the first patch.

How is your pressure relief valve situation? Almost looks like that floor could be doing that cause of over inflation, weird looking problem, should probably have a good inside patch going past the rip, so it doesn’t keep getting longer.

Good luck man!
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Upstate, South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt man View Post
Stabond will work for both Hypalon and PVC. You will need a cleaner before you glue, if itís PVC that you ar working with, then the correct cleaner is going to be MEK. If itís a Hypalon boat, then you want Toululene. Kinda looks like pvc in the picture, but I am not certain, what brand of raft is it?

Also, go take a look at the tutorials on the NRS web site, those guys have som great info on doing glue work for either type of material.

Everything involved with gluing is very toxic, where a respirator, chemical resistant gloves, and have Lots of fresh air.

That looks like kind of a tough project, for a first glue job, where ya located at? If you were in Colorado, I would say talk to Zach over at raftfix.com
Iím sure you can pull it off, but might be good for a pro to do, especially the way that floor has kept tearing open after the first patch.

How is your pressure relief valve situation? Almost looks like that floor could be doing that cause of over inflation, weird looking problem, should probably have a good inside patch going past the rip, so it doesnít keep getting longer.

Good luck man!

Itís a star starlike brand. I think the material is 1000d pvc.
Funny thing you mention Zach. I actually called him and wanting to know if he could give me some tips over the phone and he responds by telling me he doesnít do tech support. So I said thank you and hung up. Didnít seem he wanted to help me. Not upset, he is a private business owner and he is allowed to do as pleased. So i am going to use NRS and they will have my business. They are super friendly and informative! They also have a good bit of products online that I can buy.
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
If you call a car mechanic on the phone, they aren't going to tell you how to fix your car either, just sayin.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Upstate, South Carolina
He didnít have to give me any info at all. Iím all for private companies do what you gotta do. We live in capitalism ! Thank god! I can go next door and find service Iím looking for
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Littlefun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton8100 View Post
Itís a star starlike brand. I think the material is 1000d pvc.
Funny thing you mention Zach. I actually called him and wanting to know if he could give me some tips over the phone and he responds by telling me he doesnít do tech support. So I said thank you and hung up. Didnít seem he wanted to help me. Not upset, he is a private business owner and he is allowed to do as pleased. So i am going to use NRS and they will have my business. They are super friendly and informative! They also have a good bit of products online that I can buy.
Found the guy who doesn't run his own business.