If you had to repair this, what would you do!? - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 05-16-2019   #41

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
When the hole is big enough to require one it becomes available for you to work the piece inside through said hole. Usually you roll the glued up patch and finagle it in. Then you unroll it and set it from the topside. There is a bit of magic involved as well!
How do you apply the glue to the inside in a way that even close to matches your patch? And how do you avoid gluing your tube to the other side?

cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2019   #42
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Now you're asking for trade secrets!

You can lay out the patch on the outside and mark approximate dimensions if you're worried about glue inside the boat. You can put a stay of some sort inside the boat for the gluing process to keep the layers from touching. Try not to get much glue on the bottom side of the inside. Like I said, there is a little bit of magic involved. If its your first inside patch I'd recommend a dry run first to wrap your head around it. There are definitely good reasons a lot of people choose to send that sort of stuff to the shop. Botched inside patches are one of the shittier things to try and clean up to get a good surface to bond to. Its all blind work done by feel and takes time. Often times twice the cost it would have been if it was a fresh rip.
Old 05-16-2019   #43

Calgary, Alberta
^^^ haha... I guess I am.

I'd love to have a service like what you do near me, unfortunately rafting doesn't have the popularity up here in Canada that it does in the US... So there's nobody I know of locally who does this kind of work, and cross boarder freight would be prohibitively expensive and a logistical nightmare with customs.

I always thought that if i had a big rip I'd stitch it closed first and put a large patch on after. Do you think this would be a better repair method for a non pro to attempt? And would it hold?
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019   #44
Sponsoring Vendors

A good stitch job and well applied patch with a few inches of overlay would get you home for sure.
Old 05-17-2019   #45

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Anton, please reread what you've written

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton8100 View Post
Funny thing you mention Zach. I actually called him and wanting to know if he could give me some tips over the phone and he responds by telling me he doesnít do tech support. So I said thank you and hung up. Didnít seem he wanted to help me. Not upset, he is a private business owner and he is allowed to do as pleased. So i am going to use NRS and they will have my business. They are super friendly and informative! They also have a good bit of products online that I can buy.
Quote:
He didnít have to give me any info at all. Iím all for private companies do what you gotta do. We live in capitalism ! Thank god! I can go next door and find service Iím looking for
Quote:
Absolutely! I do apologize! Your def not the same Zach in Colorado that I spoke to yesterday. That was a mere coincidence. Thanks for advice.
Quote:
Yes sadly , I got more shit then advice. Buts itís all good. Iím thankful for what I can get. Thanks again for all the advice. I ordered glue and patch material.
Quote:
Great info .. since we are giving life lessons here, how about you read in content. Always read in content ! The Zach that Is giving me advice isnít the Zach I talked to over the phone. Iím thankful to Zach that we were able to Clarify that. Thatís all there was to it... Also I will not scoop down to your level and insult you personally since I have no personal knowledge of you. Canít wait to hit the waters! Trip planned on the 29th and 30th of this month.
You come off a bit brash, and having done so, the apology doesn't seem entirely sincere. More humility could go a LOOONNNG WAY. (Saying this as a person who has myself put my own foot in my mouth more than once).

Cheers!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019   #46
Down in Brazil

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Don’t think anyone’s mentioned that only shipping the floor is considerable less expensive. I am about ready to ship my floor in for repair and I was surprised how light and small the package is going to be. Since I believed he said he was a first time raft owner he might not realize this point?
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #47

Ft Collins, Colorado
I'm not even a rafter, but I gotta' say, having dealt with many other sorts of repairs, if it was my boat I'd send it to Zach. This seems like a case where the learning could be both tedious and expensive, and I'd want a pro who's developed the 'touch and feel' that will be required. I really liked the idea to ship it out, then follow it up with a Colorado vacation on the Ark!
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #48

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
TLaf, if you look at the OP’s photos, the floor is glued into the boat, not laced for easy separation.
FlyingDutchman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #49

salt lake city, Utah
In short, ship the boat to the manufacturer and have them fix it. If you had to patch that yourself, which you do not, it would be a meticulous inside and outside patch job that I would only attempt if I had to because I was on a trip. This would add a day to your trip. That said, they will fix it right up and it will be a great boat. Provided you do not slide it off the same trailer that I suspect slashed that thing twice in the same location.
peernisse is offline   Reply With Quote