If you had to repair this, what would you do!? - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 1 Week Ago   #31

Cd'A, Idaho
Where is the OP located?

Also, wow. One simple misunderstanding and a whole lot of folks just can't wait to jump someone's shit. Good ol' internet.

Elvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #32

Upstate, South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvez View Post
Where is the OP located?

Also, wow. One simple misunderstanding and a whole lot of folks just can't wait to jump someone's shit. Good ol' internet.

Yes sadly , I got more shit then advice. Buts itís all good. Iím thankful for what I can get. Thanks again for all the advice. I ordered glue and patch material.
Anton8100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #33

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
You may have talked to Zach at IT.
That number appears to be his...but that hasn't been my experience with him at all. I just had him do a warranty repair on my Aire and he was very friendly. He's pretty busy this time of year though, so who knows.

Doesn't sound like the OP gave him much of a chance though.

Personally...that looks like a hard fix that has already failed once and I'd have it done by an experienced professional. I've heard nothing but good things about Zach Baird at Raftfix, and Zach Sack at Inflatable Technologies/Whitewater Inflatable Repairs has done stellar work for me in the past. Not sure where you are based, but there is likely a place within a reasonable distance from you to do the repair. Aire has a bunch of a Service Centers that do repairs for them and list them on their website here... https://www.aire.com/service-centers. If they can repair Aire Rafts they can probably help you out on yours.

If you don't want professional help...the advice here will probably suffice.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #34

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
I've heard nothing but good things about Zach Baird at Raftfix, and Zach Sack at Inflatable Technologies/Whitewater Inflatable Repairs has done stellar work for me in the past.

I second this, they both do absolutely outstanding work, they have both done work for me with a superior outcome to anything I did myself. Given the time of year, I'm betting they both have stacks of boats waiting for their attention.

I'd check with SAIA LTL carriers, I used to be able to ship boats for around 150.00 to most anywhere in the continental US, but that was quite a few years ago.

That particular repair is one you really don't want to waste the time on trying yourself, you're going to end up shipping it to a repair shop eventually, so why not just save the materials you bought for your repair kit and get it done right the first time....

It'll probably be less expensive than if they have to clean up the mess you made from trying.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #35
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
After posting up the second pic, you have bigger issues. It looks like the long "rip" is probably a cut made on purpose to repair a leak in the interior seam tape that holds the air in between the two layers of floor. When you have air leaking out of a bailing hole it means it is getting out of the floor between the layers. Sometimes if the weakness/ failure is big enough you can see it as a bulge in the side of the floor when it is inflated. If you can't, when you get inside, you'll need to find where the inside seam tape is loose, kinked or whatever the weakness is thats allowing it to escape. It may not be right there. Inside seam tape problems can be a real bitch to find. Sometimes you can't do it reasonably. The other option you have if the leak out of the bailing hole is real slow is to patch the cut and then use an interior sealant that will fill the weakness from the inside. Its not my preferred option but it can work. No amount of outside patching over the bailing holes, etc will stop that leak.
Old 1 Week Ago   #36

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I agree with Zach's assessment. (And Zach, thank you for your pro advise to the community, I have learned a lot from you over the years)

The rip looks to well centered on the tube to be an accident. Looks to me like it was cut on purpose for a seam repair.

I have not tried it on a raft, but I have had luck fixing seam leaks on dry bags using Aqua Seal, thinned with acetone.

I mix the Aqua Seal with acetone to the consistency of water, use the corner of a ziplock bag for easy mess free mixing. I then transfer to a glue syringe (hardware store) and apply the adhesive to the interior fold of the seam. The thinned fluid lets capillary action help it to seep into the nooks and crannies. Use something to hold the surfaces you don't want glued apart, Aqua Seal will take 24 hours to cure. Perhaps a well placed balloon would work. Place the glued seam down so gravity will help distribute stuff where you want it.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #37
in dry dock

Glenwoody, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvez View Post
Where is the OP located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton8100 View Post
Yes sadly , I got more shit then advice. Buts itís all good. Iím thankful for what I can get. Thanks again for all the advice. I ordered glue and patch material.

You committed Libel against the man and still haven't made a formal retraction or apology. It was clearly your intention to cast him in a poor light and even after he twice informed you that you had the wrong guy you persisted. In the end Zack was still the bigger person and has given you free advise and you continue to act like a self righteous entitled shit. Stay classy

I hope not to ever need the services of Zack but he has earned my business for his VERY generous contribution here :thumbsup:

libel
1) n. to publish in print (including pictures), writing or broadcast through radio, television or film, an untruth about another which will do harm to that person or his/her reputation, by tending to bring the target into ridicule, hatred, scorn or contempt of others. Libel is the written or broadcast form of defamation, distinguished from slander, which is oral defamation. It is a tort (civil wrong) making the person or entity (like a newspaper, magazine or political organization) open to a lawsuit for damages by the person who can prove the statement about him/her was a lie. Publication need only be to one person, but it must be a statement which claims to be fact and is not clearly identified as an opinion. While it is sometimes said that the person making the libelous statement must have been intentional and malicious, actually it need only be obvious that the statement would do harm and is untrue.
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #38

Upstate, South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahfecks View Post
You committed Libel against the man and still haven't made a formal retraction or apology. It was clearly your intention to cast him in a poor light and even after he twice informed you that you had the wrong guy you persisted. In the end Zack was still the bigger person and has given you free advise and you continue to act like a self righteous entitled shit. Stay classy

I hope not to ever need the services of Zack but he has earned my business for his VERY generous contribution here :thumbsup:

libel
1) n. to publish in print (including pictures), writing or broadcast through radio, television or film, an untruth about another which will do harm to that person or his/her reputation, by tending to bring the target into ridicule, hatred, scorn or contempt of others. Libel is the written or broadcast form of defamation, distinguished from slander, which is oral defamation. It is a tort (civil wrong) making the person or entity (like a newspaper, magazine or political organization) open to a lawsuit for damages by the person who can prove the statement about him/her was a lie. Publication need only be to one person, but it must be a statement which claims to be fact and is not clearly identified as an opinion. While it is sometimes said that the person making the libelous statement must have been intentional and malicious, actually it need only be obvious that the statement would do harm and is untrue.

Great info .. since we are giving life lessons here, how about you read in content. Always read in content ! The Zach that Is giving me advice isnít the Zach I talked to over the phone. Iím thankful to Zach that we were able to Clarify that. Thatís all there was to it... Also I will not scoop down to your level and insult you personally since I have no personal knowledge of you. Canít wait to hit the waters! Trip planned on the 29th and 30th of this month.
Anton8100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #39

North Little Rock, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1978
I donít have a need to know, but Im curious.How do you apply an interior patch?
JBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #40
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
When the hole is big enough to require one it becomes available for you to work the piece inside through said hole. Usually you roll the glued up patch and finagle it in. Then you unroll it and set it from the topside. There is a bit of magic involved as well!